Which engine will fit 99 Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timmyt

Reaction score
I get a call from the wife about 2 weeks ago saying that the Expedition died on her driving down the road. She said it was running fine and wasn't noisy and it just stopped. Later that night she tells me one of the gauges was jumping up and down and it might have been the oil gauge. We have it towed to my local one man shop and he tells us the engine seized!! I about hit the floor when he gave us the bad news. The truck had been running great and just had a oil change less then 1,000 miles ago. It has 114,000 mile total.

Here is my question. I've been bugging at my mechanic to find a engine with less then 75k on it. He told me he's having a hard time because we can only use a 1999 Expedition or Navigator 5.4. Is this true? No other model years will work for this direct swap? The truck is in great shape and is very solid so it only makes sense to put a new motor in it. I've used this mechanic for years and he has done good work but I just want to help him find this engine.

Thanks and sorry for the long first post.

OP
OP
T

timmyt

Reaction score
Sorry-- Should have use the word "used" instead of "new". I'm looking to get a used engine with less then 75k on it. I did look around on Ebay and thats why I need to find out which model years I can use for this swap. I've seen some decent deals on a couple 2000's with less then 50k miles but I'm not sure if this will work for a direct swap?

OP
OP
T

timmyt

Reaction score
Sorry-- Should have use the word "used" instead of "new". I'm looking to get a used engine with less then 75k on it. I did look around on Ebay and thats why I need to find out which model years I can use for this swap. I've seen some decent deals on a couple 2000's with less then 50k miles but I'm not sure if this will work for a direct swap?

Exped2002

Reaction score
i think most all the enigines are alike up to 03.. dont quote me ive been wrong but i think 97-03 will fit