Which generation Expy to add to your fleet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
J, this is a little off topic, but do you know what year they fixed the oblong cylinder problem on the 5.0 F150 motor? Also, is their any other items to worry about? Or are they dependable engines.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

The oblong cylinders were an issue in 2011-2012. Besides making a racket it didn’t really make them non dependable, just noisy.

They are reliable for the most part, I’d have no issue purchasing one. Many parts about it are better, i.e. spark plug design, oil cooler, heads. It’s the best engine offered in the F-150 currently in my book.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, so it's just up to 12. I figured they were a strong motor with the punishment that the kids in mustangs are putting them through. My Fox body 302's were Bullit proof. Had 3 of them, 170,210,225, horsepower. Never had to tow any of them for engine problems.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am not a fan of putting a tiny v6 in a large heavy truck then having to bolt in a forced air pump to make power. You’re running that lil engine on the far end of power band to get turbo spool and in time those air pumps fail $$$

I get it, but you asked what we would do so I told you. ;) I haven't seen enough high mileage 3rd gens or even statistical data to convince me that they're any more reliable than the Ecos. If you had simply asked, what vehicle would you buy, I might have responded with some type of Toyota. :p I just don't have the faith in the 5.4L 3V that I did in the 5.0L that was in my '00 Merc.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get it, but you asked what we would do so I told you. ;) I haven't seen enough high mileage 3rd gens or even statistical data to convince me that they're any more reliable than the Ecos. If you had simply asked, what vehicle would you buy, I might have responded with some type of Toyota. :p I just don't have the faith in the 5.4L 3V that I did in the 5.0L that was in my '00 Merc.

1) there's a lot of high mileage Triton 5.4 3v data
2) who cares, another engine good for another 100k or so miles at least can be dropped in for the price of....what, a couple proprietary mercedes hoses and sensors?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1) there's a lot of high mileage Triton 5.4 3v data
2) who cares, another engine good for another 100k or so miles at least can be dropped in for the price of....what, a couple proprietary mercedes hoses and sensors?

1. Where? I'm talking 200K+, not these absurd posts people make about 110K trouble-free miles. I sure a shit hope a vehicle can make it to 100K. A Kia can make it 100K trouble-free miles. :x I have seen some posts here about some truly high mileage 3rd gen Expeditions, but not enough of them - and not enough statistical data anywhere - to feel truly confident that these are the norm rather than the exception.

2. I care. (a) Every major repair raises the average annual cost of ownership. If I wanted to throw money away I would just buy a new vehicle every 3 years. (b) I need a reliable vehicle. Period. I don't have the luxury of being able to be without a vehicle while it sits in a shop for a week or more.

An engine replacement every 100K would be every 5.5 years for me btw. There is no alternate reality in which I would consider that acceptable.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Back in the 60's/70's, that's what people of means did. Still do today. They got rid of their cars, every 3 years or so. Avg mileage by most family's is around 12k a year. So at 36-45 k, it was time to trade or sell the family car. 80-110k miles was the max most cars went. We're spoiled these days with 300k SUVs. Better oils, hydraulic lifters, and just better metallurgy had been a game changer. Thank God though, cars used to cost no more than $5,000. These days, that doesn't even come close to the down payment.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. Where? I'm talking 200K+, not these absurd posts people make about 110K trouble-free miles. I sure a shit hope a vehicle can make it to 100K. A Kia can make it 100K trouble-free miles. :x I have seen some posts here about some truly high mileage 3rd gen Expeditions, but not enough of them - and not enough statistical data anywhere - to feel truly confident that these are the norm rather than the exception.

2. I care. (a) Every major repair raises the average annual cost of ownership. If I wanted to throw money away I would just buy a new vehicle every 3 years. (b) I need a reliable vehicle. Period. I don't have the luxury of being able to be without a vehicle while it sits in a shop for a week or more.

An engine replacement every 100K would be every 5.5 years for me btw. There is no alternate reality in which I would consider that acceptable.

Lol. Its a popular upscale F150/standard F250 engine option, not an Expedition-only motor...literally straight out of America's best selling vehicle. and btw there was a guy on here with 500+k miles on his Expedition too

Also, Kias? They go on and on....i got a buddy who ubered a $2k auction kia from 200 to like 370k without much more than a single balljoint and a junkyard alternator... retired it after some body damage

As to costs of repair, Ford V8s are about as cheap as it gets. Except MAYBE auction Kia compacts, but then it's not exactly a roomy all-weather go-anywhere 4x4...

Last edited:

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lol. Its a popular upscale F150/standard F250 engine option, not an Expedition-only motor...literally straight out of America's best selling vehicle. and btw there was a guy on here with 500+k miles on his Expedition too

Also, Kias? They go on and on....i got a buddy who ubered a $2k auction kia from 200 to like 370k without much more than a single balljoint and a junkyard alternator... retired it after some body damage

As to costs of repair, Ford V8s are about as cheap as it gets. Except MAYBE auction Kia compacts, but then it's not exactly a roomy all-weather go-anywhere 4x4...

No matter what I or anyone else says, you'll just keep hollering Ford. Peeling paint? Who cares? Replace the engine every 100K? Who cares? Clearly, you don't. That's fine. I don't share your viewpoint though. There are things I like about the 3rd gens and things I don't. I'm not going to keep blowing sunshine up everyone's ass because I own one. I'm going to remain as objective as I can to the end. Don't get so bent every time someone doesn't share your enamorment.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No matter what I or anyone else says, you'll just keep hollering Ford. Peeling paint? Who cares? Replace the engine every 100K? Who cares? Clearly, you don't. That's fine. I don't share your viewpoint though. There are things I like about the 3rd gens and things I don't. I'm not going to keep blowing sunshine up everyone's ass because I own one. I'm going to remain as objective as I can to the end. Don't get so bent every time someone doesn't share your enamorment.

Not every 100k lol

I'm saying you could easily buy a 5.4 v8 with 100 MORE thousand miles in it for pennies if it came to that...which it probably won't.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The modular V8 is durable. Plenty of early 3rd gen owners with 200k+ on original powertrain. There are a handful at 300k.

The EcoBoost has well documented failures related to the timing set (timing chain, camphasers) in the F-150, just like the 5.4. It also has an internal water pump that if fails is known to dump all the coolant in the oil. There is no perfect engine. The key is take care of whatever it is.

Last edited: