Which generation is best

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jacksonh18

Reaction score
I own an explorer and would like to buy an expedition. I am mechanically inclined and decided I will buy a mechanics special. I'm hoping to pick something up cheap and fix it.
Which explorer has the fewest issues and gets the best gas mileage? Is there a generation/engine or trani to avoid?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont think any years do...I've seen the good and bad in all years...depends on how it was maintained

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had a 4.6L Gen I and now have a Gen III EL. Both 4x4.

I think the first gen are easier to work on (at least suspension is), but 3rd gen probably gets a little better MPG with the 6 speed trans, offers the EL version and the 5.4 makes more power (stock). Personally, I think the later Gen I (2000-2002) looks best but my current Gen III EL is easier to drive.

Of course MPG is relative with these guys.

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My vote is the gen 3 Expedition - preferably the EL. The ride is awesome. Major difference between it and the 1st gen ('99) I had. I would stay away from the '07 and '08 years - maybe early '09 as well. I found a number of reports of 5.4 engine issues that wane in the later years.

FordGirl1983

Reaction score
That's a tough one there. I've currently own a first gen but like the 3rd the best umm 1st arrrg. Like I said, that's a tough one lol.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my question is, the best for what?

Best price? First gen

Best (and most) features, bells, and whistles? Latest gen

Best balance of features and cost? probably second gen

Depends on what you are looking for...

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're looking for a mechanics special, I would recommend a 2nd gen and up. The first gens are a nightmare to work on engine/transmission wise. The second gen seem easier but I haven't had to mess with too much engine stuff yet.