Which is right ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leiyu

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I lived in CA.
I prepared to buy my first FORD ,but now has some problem about OTD calculated method.tempsnip 20190109.JPG
As the picture shows, the MSRP is $ 75830, the dealer's OTD price is $ 68,858.04,based on the vehicle's selling price $ 70,000, but I think the vehicle's sellin price should be $ 61,000. I calculated the OTD price use DMV online tools and get $ 67,501 OTD price.
The dealer told me, "California taxes vehicle purchases before rebates or incentives are applied to the price, which means that the buyer in this scenario will pay taxes on the vehicle as if it cost the full valume."
I am not sure if he is right ,so anyone could give me some feedback ?
Thank you guys very much!

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your taxes and fees are zipcode specific. For instance my town has a 1% sales tax any large item I buy Even out of town I must pay the taxes tied to my zipcode. Even my Mountain Bike purchase out of town I had to pay our local 1% tax on at purchase.

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
California's gonna get their pound of flesh outta you. It's not Ford doin' the screwin'.
Both numbers have $61,000 after savings showing before taxes(which is a GREAT deal, good job!)
Best thing to do is contact your dealer or the local department of motor vehicles

2018expyXLT4wd

Reaction score
https://www.salestaxhandbook.com/california/sales-tax-vehicles
How are rebates and dealer incentives taxed?
Many dealers offer cash incentives or manufacturer rebates on the sticker price of a vehicle in order to encourage sales. For example, a $1,000 cash rebate may be offered on a $10,000 car, meaning that the out of pocket cost to the buyer is $9,000.

California taxes vehicle purchases before rebates or incentives are applied to the price, which means that the buyer in this scenario will pay taxes on the vehicle as if it cost the full $10,000.

Also... https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what-fees-should-you-pay.html

Rebates and incentives: Customer cash rebates and other incentives reduce the purchase price of the vehicle. But most states charge sales tax on the full purchase amount before the rebate is applied. For a $25,000 car with a $500 rebate, that reduces the sale price to $24,500. But in most cases, you'll pay tax on the full $25,000.

Edmunds provide a chart by state indicating whether incentives (rebates) are taxed?

I suspect you may need to move to Montana

OP
OP
L

leiyu

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.
I just not sure which is the right selling price to pay tax&title fees, $70,000 or $ 61,000 ?

Your taxes and fees are zipcode specific. For instance my town has a 1% sales tax any large item I buy Even out of town I must pay the taxes tied to my zipcode. Even my Mountain Bike purchase out of town I had to pay our local 1% tax on at purchase.

OP
OP
L

leiyu

Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestion.
The selling price is good, but the OTD price is not good.:)
Seems I should to contact the DMV for the information.

California's gonna get their pound of flesh outta you. It's not Ford doin' the screwin'.
Both numbers have $61,000 after savings showing before taxes(which is a GREAT deal, good job!)
Best thing to do is contact your dealer or the local department of motor vehicles

2018expyXLT4wd

Reaction score
I "think" you're paying the sales tax on the 70K 'purchase value' price (estimated 7.25% for state/local taxes: $5,075 + $2,783.04 in fees), and adding back to the $61K 'dealer' price to you.

OP
OP
L

leiyu

Reaction score
Thank you.
I knew the tax fee base on vehicle's registered address .
But I just confused the selling price is $ 70,000 or $ 61,000 ,that also will be different OTD price.

r
You need to run your own numbers
https://gis.cdtfa.ca.gov/public/maps/taxrates/

Dealer should break out their dealer fees also. They kinda did a generic break down and didn’t give you the details

Your sales tax is based on your permanent address not the purchase location

OP
OP
L

leiyu

Reaction score
Thank you for you explanation .
That dealer told me the same thing .
I can not understand why the selling price is $ 70,000 ? Maybe dealer can take away part of the $ 9000 incentive ?

I "think" you're paying the sales tax on the 70K 'purchase value' price (estimated 7.25% for state/local taxes: $5,075 + $2,783.04 in fees), and adding back to the $61K 'dealer' price to you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360