Which model of Motorcraft Spark Plugs works in my 97 5.4 XLT?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CesarSal

Reaction score
All the auto parts stores recommend the SP-459 ones which are so hard to find here in Mexico, some website suggest me to use SP-493 and SP-479 confirming that those fit my expy, but I cant find info that say they actually fit. I've searched so much in this forum and others but could only find some people using the 479. do you guys know which ones are the best for my expy?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Motorcraft SP459 is the plug you want if you run Motorcraft plugs. The NGK's also work well if it's easier to get NGKs there. How hard is it to get things shipped from the US to you ?

Ford 5.4L Sparkplugs at Rock Auto

SP459-FRO__ra_p.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CesarSal

Reaction score
The Motorcraft SP479 is the plug you want if you run Motorcraft plugs. The NGK's also work well if it's easier to get NGKs there. How hard is it to get things shipped from the US to you ?

Ford 5.4L Sparkplugs at Rock Auto

Motorcraft SP479 (8) on eBay

View attachment 71270

Actually the SP-479 are easier to find, cheapest I could find was 45 bucks for 8 plugs, only the SP-459 are the hard to find ones, even in the rockauto link you shared the only motorcraft listed are the SP-459 and the SP-459X, couldn't find any with cheap shipping, I was going to get them shipped to my sister house because she is coming for holidays, but I wanted to find some locals.

But SP-479 should work just fine right? also about the tune up, my expy has 245k miles I should use 5w20?