which trans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danketchpel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out which transmission I have. I have checked the build plate and it says that I have the "W" trans which the owner's manual says is a 5spd manual, NOT.

I have an '04 XLT with the 5.4L and HD towing pkg.

It is definitely a 4spd automatic but which one?

Any thoughts?

NoMo

Reaction score
It's an AODEW/4R75. Should be listed on your window sticker- if you got it when you purchased the vehicle.

Unfortunately, there's very little information on this "new for '04" tranny. Probably just a slightly stronger version of the older 4R70W.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

danketchpel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I did go back and check the original window sticker and it listed the trans as being a 4R75W. I guess I should've looked there first.

Does anybody have any feedback about using Mobil 1 synthetic tranny oil in that trans? Does anybody know what Ford fills the trans with originally?

I plan on having it flushed at 30,000 miles. I do a fair amount of towing with the vehicle.

NoMo

Reaction score
You need to make sure that any fluid you use is "Mercon V" compatible. At this time, the standard Mobil1 fluid is not. Mobil does offer a Mercon V Synthetic 'blend'.

No telling who supplies Ford with the factory fill. They probably buy from whoever has the best price on the fluid that meets their specifications on any given week.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do not remember which one my shop used for the synthetic trans fluid (Valvoline comes to mind), but it was an immediate improvement in shifting, much smoother. Of course I had it power flushed, which is what I recommend to everyone.

Now this trans had been power flushed two years earlier, but with regular trans fluid, so the fluid was not that bad (considering some people NEVER change it). I have a philosophy though that all fluids should be changed every 1-2 years.

Do the synth change on everything, but make sure that it is compatible (usually is) with the the OEM spec just as NoMo says.

DAMN_FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
danketchpal:

Just curious...

How many pounds are you towing?

What size is your toy hauler?

OP
OP
D

danketchpel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the summer time we tow our double jetski trailer (~2100 lbs loaded)) and in the winter I tow my motorcycle trailer (~500-1500 lbs loaded - dirt bikes). Hence we call it our toy hauler.

Over all not that much weight but probably 75% of the mileage on the vehicle is spent towing.

shagnasty

Reaction score
rwinch, How much did it cost to have your tranny power flushed and synthetic put in! Did you also change the filter? If so, what brand did you go with(filter and fluid)?

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dan,

The name of the proper trans fluid is inscribed on the transmission dipstick.