whimsical thoughts, or, Expedition into a "Bronco"..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was thinking how could it would've been had Ford offered a Bronco based on the Expedition EL.
2 door, 3 passenger bench, 2 seat bench in the back and on a shortened wheel base Expedition EL chassis.

I'm contemplating whipping such a creature up in photoshop, to get a sort of an idea what one might have looked like.

I know they'd probably have sold about 362 of 'em, but still, it would've been a neat thing. The modern bronco that's forthcoming is cool and all and I appreciate the throwback to the original, but I would've preferred a version that was, well, more truck like.

I won't even comment on that thing that's based off of the escape....the fact that a car has a bronco emblem on it sacrilege.

I think the 70's through '96 Bronco were the best. Truck frame, V8 torque, and whatever one could do to an F150, could do to the same gen Bronco.

Better days, long past.

Anyway....gonna put my photo editing skills through the wringer I think. :)

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, the Expedition is what replaced the Bronco and the Expedition EL replaced the Excursion. The new Bronco is...something. It’s cool to see the nameplate revived, but it’s not for me. Looks to much like the little Jeep Renegade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks to much like the little Jeep Renegade.

the Bronco Sport is like a Jeep Renegade. The new Bronco (not yet available) is a totally different animal. If you think the new Bronco is like the Jeep Renegade, then I can’t help you and we can’t be friends.

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the Bronco Sport is like a Jeep Renegade. The new Bronco (not yet available) is a totally different animal. If you think the new Bronco is like the Jeep Renegade, then I can’t help you and we can’t be friends.

lol I gotcha. I wasn’t aware there was another one. That’s good news because that little thing is terrible.

Plati

Reaction score
Yeah I see those Bronco Sport's driving around and I think they are just an an Exploder

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This post is hilarious for us old enough to remember people paying high dollar for a conversion Bronco 4 door before there was an Expedition. After 6 years (1990 - 1996) Ford decided they could take your money instead. Centurion Vehicles is the more recognizable name, having produced more four-door Broncos over the years; somewhere south of 5,000 total. To create their version of the four-door Bronco, Centurion started with an F-Series chassis, either from an F-150 or F-350, with a wheelbase shortened to 140 inches. They then mated the F-Series crew-cab body to the rear portion of a Ford Bronco, starting just behind the rear doors. And voila – a four door Bronco was born! And now we want to go back :)

OP
OP
Thunderbirdsport

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I see those Bronco Sport's driving around and I think they are just an an Exploder

The sport is a reskinned Escape, but I'm not sure what the powerplant(s) are...I just don't care enough to look it up, LOL.

These days, I need bigger, anything smaller than my '06 Explorer ain't gonna cut it, and at that, the Explorer is barely adequate for daily needs...hence my Expy..

This post is hilarious for us old enough to remember people paying high dollar for a conversion Bronco 4 door before there was an Expedition. After 6 years (1990 - 1996) Ford decided they could take your money instead. Centurion Vehicles is the more recognizable name, having produced more four-door Broncos over the years; somewhere south of 5,000 total. To create their version of the four-door Bronco, Centurion started with an F-Series chassis, either from an F-150 or F-350, with a wheelbase shortened to 140 inches. They then mated the F-Series crew-cab body to the rear portion of a Ford Bronco, starting just behind the rear doors. And voila – a four door Bronco was born! And now we want to go back :)

A friend of mine's brother owns a Centurion conversion, it's been local since it was new in 1993. A guy bought it new, he worked at the local Ford dealer, shop supervisor and a huge Ford nut.
My whimsy was actually going the other way, take a 3rd gen Expy, cut out the second row of doors and seats, shorten the body, frame, and whatnot, and putting a Bronco emblem the back, of course the lift gate would have to be addressed, I'd rather have a tailgate with a rollup window like the '87-'96 years, that's where my inspiration comes from.

It would be as if the Bronco was kept in production, mirroring the 1/2t truck line....I tell ya guys, if money wasn't an object, I'd be driving such a creature, rather than just dreaming about it and giving it prose on a forum.

I'm still not done with the "photochop", but it's getting there. Ther removable top (ala broncs of old) would be tough to accomplish in real life, though. The rest, hell, any custom auto body shop could handle that pretty easily.

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could keep the hatch back as is but swing out the spare tire carrier before lifting it up. Question being would it have the Expedition front end or the Raptor with wide body? Bumper covers or F-150 steel? I could picture it either way.

OP
OP
Thunderbirdsport

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a good set of questions!

Currently my photoshop is of my own Expy, so for the sake of my exercise it's going to have an '11 Expy front.

I'm currently having a hard time with the rear, the shell. I suppose if this was a real life, actual build, I'd either have to measure the width of an '87-'96 Bronco shell and make that fit if it's wide enough, or custom build one, plus the rear hatch issue. With a hatch, there's not a way to have the removable top. Would it be a one off custom made "Bronco" if the top wasn't removable? LOL....

If one wanted a Raptor-esque Bronco recreation, it'd likely be best to start with a Raptor, throw a shell on the bed, cut the back of the cab and the rear doors, 'glass (or sheetmetal fab) it all together as one solid body, and that would give an option for a removable top, perhaps.

I'm not quite ready to show what I've done so far, not that it's crap, I just want it to look like it takes direct inspiration from that last generation of truck-based Broncs....the '96 and down years....specifically the 9th gens...those are my favorite. (I had a '94 that I bought sans driveline...plans were for a 460/ZF manual...had some life shit land on my shoulders and some toys had to go. Thankfully, it went to a guy who put a 351w drivetrain from a rusted clapped out 4x4 in it and he still has it to this day, we talk here and there...he loves it and takes good care of it.)

I'm nitpicky..lol. I may just 'chop in the top from the 9th gen Bronco and call it done...

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, the Expedition is what replaced the Bronco and the Expedition EL replaced the Excursion. The new Bronco is...something. It’s cool to see the nameplate revived, but it’s not for me. Looks to much like the little Jeep Renegade.

I wish they still made the Excursion. I would like to have one. '06 was the last one. I still see them around though. Some guys are putting Cummins diesel engines in them.