Whining/Siren Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

QbanCgar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
was driving the Expy a couple of weeks ago & i started hearing a whining or siren noise. i actually thought it was a siren, so i looked around (front, back, side to side) to see if i saw any emergency vehicle & nada. so i just chalked it up to it possibily being a Fire Engine siren in the distance. well i heard i again yesterday & it seems to be coming from under the hood. has anyone else expeerienced this sound? if so, what was it? thanks in advance.

B

bedrck46

The cold weather causes some strange noises you should hear my Escape when it gets cold did the noise disappear as the expy heated up??

OP
OP
QbanCgar

QbanCgar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The cold weather causes some strange noises you should hear my Escape when it gets cold did the noise disappear as the expy heated up??

well considering i only have like a 10 min commute to work, i can't say that it has. i will get back to you on this tomorrow as i will be driving it for a couple of hours.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sounds kind of like the good old slipping fan belt on the old cars with V-belts.

When temperature plummeted rubber would get stiff and not want to bend, and steel pulleys would get slippery, and bearings would stiffen up as well and make it even harder for the pulleys to turn.

Pretty much disappeared when the serpentines came out, but can still happen if the tensioners are not working properly.

Last edited:

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '98 has a high pitched whine that I can only guess is the power steering pump. Turn the radio up a little and the whine goes away! :wink:
Can you tell where it is coming from under the hood?

K9JRF

Reaction score
I'm not sure what it is and haven't in the 5 years of owning it figured it out, but what you describe is the same think by 02 does when ever it 20 degrees or below outside. It will do it until its gets warm unless it's below zero outside and then it does it continually.

I only hear it when the motor idles up or I'm accelerating, when accelerating if I let off the gas pedal it goes away then as soon as I press on the gas it comes back.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev