Whirring noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s driving me crazy lol no clue what this creaking is. If I put it into drive and just let it loaf forward I hear it creak every few seconds whether on flat or bumpy ground.

Maybe a strut is blown out....haven’t noticed diminished ride quality. Strut and Coil assemblies aren’t even that old and they are all Ford OEM ones....

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it was a bearing, you'd have a rumble or God awful scraping. The struts usually make a popping sound. Scraping is usually interference with another part. You got 5-6 days of punishment this weekend and early next week. Living in New York, unless you've got a warm toasty garage, I wouldn't touch it. What side is the scrape coming from? What brand were those hubs and bearings you installed awhile back?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it was a bearing, you'd have a rumble or God awful scraping. The struts usually make a popping sound. Scraping is usually interference with another part. You got 5-6 days of punishment this weekend and early next week. Living in New York, unless you've got a warm toasty garage, I wouldn't touch it. What side is the scrape coming from? What brand were those hubs and bearings you installed awhile back?

I did the rears in spring because they had play....used ford ones. Up front I replaced the hub actuators. I’ve noticed it aggravates the noise when I turn the wheel tight in parking lots. I can’t even call it a scrape....it’s a genuine creak like an old floor board. I agree, I’m not going to throw parts at it I’ll let shop diagnose and fix.

He can get me in early next week....which is good because this noise is not confidence inspiring!

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
The creak is probably a dry ball joint or tie rod. I had a tie rod doing that last winter and unfortunately it didn't have a grease fitting so I had to swap it.

I also grease my swaybar mid point and end link bushings pretty frequently because ive had those creak/squeak also.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I could see ball joint. The suspense is killing me. It's funny, back in the day when I worked on the same vehicle, car, or motorcycle, you knew what to change. These SUVs are different from model to model, day to day. Never ends with the diagnostic on these beasts. Keeps it interesting.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had so many dry ball joints creak on Town Cars. Almost always the lowers.
No factory fitting so I use the needle to fill boot with grease.
Upper control arm bushings squeak a lot when temps drop too.
The town cars steering stops will make a terrible noise when turning int a driveway unless you put a glob or grease where the stop hits the frame.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Upper ball joints don't do as much load as lowers, but do cause knocking,and play. Worn joints can cause weird vibration, and wandering in steering. Uppers are harder to diagnose at home, because you can't load them like lowers with a pry bar.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL there has to be a bad bearing up front, she’s just howling down the highways. I can’t believe these bearings can get so bad without play. I’m guessing wheel bearing assembly and a ball joint combo. Suspense is killing me too!

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
J, do you remember the post I wrote about a Harley big twin, circa 1987 back in 2004 I worked on? I tore into it to fix a broken shift shaft. I checked all the roller bearings, they seemed tight, and smooth, no old dry roller skates. When I took it for a test ride it rumbled like crazy. Bearings can sometimes fool you. Apparently the big torque of a Harley puts a huge strain on bearings. The same bearings on a Japanese four cylinder 1200 cc, would have been fine. I'm guessing one of those new hubs you installed a while back went bad. Sucks that parts won't even go a year these days. If it turns out to be that, you might want to pull that hub, and have a machine shop press in a top quality bearing. We actually have 2 bearing retailers here in San Francisco. That or see if Ford still sells the assembly for your 07. Ford might sell the bearing separate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imjuststeven