Who is running tunes on their 3.5L EB 3rd gen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zablalbaz

Reaction score
Hey All,

I just traded a 395hp, 2018 F150 XLT that had a 10spd transmission with "sport" mode for a 365hp 2017 Expedition Ltd with 3.5L EB and a 6spd transmission. I love the Expedition Limited interior and creature comforts in the cabin. But I miss the punch I had with my truck. So I'm looking into tunes for the Expedition to get a little of that back.

I've looked at some previous posts, but can't quite find what I am looking for. So I have some specific questions for ya'll.

How many of you are using tunes with your 3rd gen, 3.5L EB expeditions? Was it worth the expense? What tuners and tunes did you go with? Did you see any actual HP or performance gains? I'm specifically looking for experiences from folks with 1) the 3.5L EB engines and 2) tuners with tunes purchased from online stores. I'm not really interested in going to a shop. I just want plug something in and load a canned tune. Thanks in advance!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey @zablalbaz

There are MANY threads in the 3rd Gen area talking about tuning on these.

Also some here:

I ran 5 different options on my 2015/2017.

JMS Boostmax - plug in Module
Hypertech - Canned
SCT - Canned
LMS - Slightly tweaked, but not Data logged
ZFG - Heavily logged, and adjusted for my preferences. (Used a MPVI2 from HPTuners)

4 out of the 5 were perfectly good options, and each had advantages.

JMS Boostmax - Easy install, no programming, but did nothing for the Trans. Great option for most.
Hypertech - REALLY liked this little device - Pretty sure there is a Thread around here dedicated to my impressions of it. Even at the highest power level, full towing, and it could adjust tire size and TPMS settings very easily.
SCT - Canned tunes from SCT - Absolute crap. Never again!
LMS - Excellent for the 3rd Gen Ecoboosts, but left a lot to be desired on our 2020.
ZFG - All out tune! Adam@ZFG can make a Ecoboost dance! Data logging to tweak for yours. This is what I was running on the 2017 when traded in for the 2020. And what stays loaded on the 2020 now. Shifting both in the 6 Speed and now the 10 Speed is SO MUCH better than stock.

Many here are running 5 Star. Personally not a fan, but many have been happy there.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is a good thread discussing many options.

OP
OP
Z

zablalbaz

Reaction score
Hey @zablalbaz

There are MANY threads in the 3rd Gen area talking about tuning on these.

Also some here:

I ran 5 different options on my 2015/2017.

JMS Boostmax - plug in Module
Hypertech - Canned
SCT - Canned
LMS - Slightly tweaked, but not Data logged
ZFG - Heavily logged, and adjusted for my preferences. (Used a MPVI2 from HPTuners)

4 out of the 5 were perfectly good options, and each had advantages.

JMS Boostmax - Easy install, no programming, but did nothing for the Trans. Great option for most.
Hypertech - REALLY liked this little device - Pretty sure there is a Thread around here dedicated to my impressions of it. Even at the highest power level, full towing, and it could adjust tire size and TPMS settings very easily.
SCT - Canned tunes from SCT - Absolute crap. Never again!
LMS - Excellent for the 3rd Gen Ecoboosts, but left a lot to be desired on our 2020.
ZFG - All out tune! Adam@ZFG can make a Ecoboost dance! Data logging to tweak for yours. This is what I was running on the 2017 when traded in for the 2020. And what stays loaded on the 2020 now. Shifting both in the 6 Speed and now the 10 Speed is SO MUCH better than stock.

Many here are running 5 Star. Personally not a fan, but many have been happy there.
Thanks! I've been getting good feedback about the 5-star 2015-2017 package from my FB group. Specifically this one:

But I've never heard of ZFG before. Is there a specific package that you bought? I like the idea of having something that I can use in my next vehicle when I trade up. Also, I need the ability to backup/restore the original PCM config when I bring it in to the dealer. Does the ZFG tuner do that and is it easy to restore the stock config when necessary?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks! I've been getting good feedback about the 5-star 2015-2017 package from my FB group. Specifically this one:

But I've never heard of ZFG before. Is there a specific package that you bought? I like the idea of having something that I can use in my next vehicle when I trade up. Also, I need the ability to backup/restore the original PCM config when I bring it in to the dealer. Does the ZFG tuner do that and is it easy to restore the stock config when necessary?
Yes, on all of that. ZFG only Supports the HPTuner family of devices. 5Star can use HPTuner, and several other tuners also, like unleashed, and BCB.

You buy credits to unlock a vehicle. Once unlocked/paired with that MPVI/RTD(HPtuner Device options) you can send tunes to that vehicle from any tuner. Buy a new car, you would need to buy credits to unlock that vehicle. I have used my current MPVI2 on 5 vehicles total. Don't own 4 of them. You would pay the tuner for the tunes and their expertise in that, above and beyond the hardware costs.

Part of your decision is deciding the device you want to use. I am a fan of the HPTuner devices because of the Data logging that can be done with them. For most people the RTD is fine. The MPVI is for those that want to dabble in tuning themselves.

Checkout here:
https://www.tunedbyzfgracing.com/product-page/2015-2017-ford-expedition-3-5l-zfg-racing-custom-tune

Tell Adam that Ray sent you. He has an Auto Octane option, it is down a little on power vs the straight 93, but allows you to run 87/89 without switching tunes.

OP
OP
Z

zablalbaz

Reaction score
Yes, on all of that. ZFG only Supports the HPTuner family of devices. 5Star can use HPTuner, and several other tuners also, like unleashed, and BCB.

You buy credits to unlock a vehicle. Once unlocked/paired with that MPVI/RTD(HPtuner Device options) you can send tunes to that vehicle from any tuner. Buy a new car, you would need to buy credits to unlock that vehicle. I have used my current MPVI2 on 5 vehicles total. Don't own 4 of them. You would pay the tuner for the tunes and their expertise in that, above and beyond the hardware costs.

Part of your decision is deciding the device you want to use. I am a fan of the HPTuner devices because of the Data logging that can be done with them. For most people the RTD is fine. The MPVI is for those that want to dabble in tuning themselves.

Checkout here:
https://www.tunedbyzfgracing.com/product-page/2015-2017-ford-expedition-3-5l-zfg-racing-custom-tune

Tell Adam that Ray sent you. He has an Auto Octane option, it is down a little on power vs the straight 93, but allows you to run 87/89 without switching tunes.
Thanks! I've been looking at the HP Tuners and I like that they just plug in down below to the ODBII port and stay there. At least the ones I have seen seem to be a little more inconspicuous and don't require a window mount or any other type of mount. I don't want to dabble in tuning myself, so I think I am good with the less expensive RTD. And I tend to run premium (93 octane) in my engines to help keep them cleaner and prevent any ticking noises. Also gets me better mpg - but that's usually a wash with it being more expensive. Does the auto octane tune work with 93 as well?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks! I've been looking at the HP Tuners and I like that they just plug in down below to the ODBII port and stay there. At least the ones I have seen seem to be a little more inconspicuous and don't require a window mount or any other type of mount. I don't want to dabble in tuning myself, so I think I am good with the less expensive RTD. And I tend to run premium (93 octane) in my engines to help keep them cleaner and prevent any ticking noises. Also gets me better mpg - but that's usually a wash with it being more expensive. Does the auto octane tune work with 93 as well?
Yes. Because it has to be a little more conservative, it loses a few HP/Lbft to the just 93 tune. For the everyday drive, it is what i recommend.

Don't need to leave the RTD plugged in all the time. Only if you want to flash or log.

OP
OP
Z

zablalbaz

Reaction score
Yes. Because it has to be a little more conservative, it loses a few HP/Lbft to the just 93 tune. For the everyday drive, it is what i recommend.

Don't need to leave the RTD plugged in all the time. Only if you want to flash or log.
TY! Very helpful!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I just traded a 395hp, 2018 F150 XLT that had a 10spd transmission with "sport" mode for a 365hp 2017 Expedition Ltd with 3.5L EB and a 6spd transmission. I love the Expedition Limited interior and creature comforts in the cabin. But I miss the punch I had with my truck. So I'm looking into tunes for the Expedition to get a little of that back.

I've looked at some previous posts, but can't quite find what I am looking for. So I have some specific questions for ya'll.

How many of you are using tunes with your 3rd gen, 3.5L EB expeditions? Was it worth the expense? What tuners and tunes did you go with? Did you see any actual HP or performance gains? I'm specifically looking for experiences from folks with 1) the 3.5L EB engines and 2) tuners with tunes purchased from online stores. I'm not really interested in going to a shop. I just want plug something in and load a canned tune. Thanks in advance!
Drove a new Lariat F-150 with the 400 Hp/ 410 tq V8 and 10 speed combination. That thing was something else. Red line was over 6 grand!!! These new trucks are so light with so much power.

Those new 5.0 and EcoBoost F-150s are all 400 hp and mid 5’s 0-60 if you YouTube them. Sports sedan times of a decade ago.

Last edited: