Who is running tunes on their 3.5L EB 3rd gen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Speedboosted

Reaction score
I am running a Juggernaut Tune on my 2017 EL. Matt Honeycutt is the main tuner over there, and has one of the most extensive tuning/programming backgrounds you'll ever find across the entire industry. A couple of the biggest tuning names in the Mustang world had his brain behind it. I've used many tuners across many platforms, Matt/Juggernaut are my favorite.

They use SCT for Ford Ecoboost tuning, any device works within the SCT family. It's a "custom" tune as some people call it, so you'll want to datalog back and forth with them to dial everything in. Any octane fuel, any requests, they can accommodate it. I even sent him logs with my trailer hooked up to make sure all was good there too.

Truck pulls great in every gear, shift points are crisp and right where you want them. I'm pretty sure the fuel mileage increased a touch as well. Last time I was hauling my car to a race event, I got 15.2 hand calc through I-5 in Oregon with some hills.

OP
OP
Z

zablalbaz

Reaction score
Just a quick update. After some thought on this, I am starting out with a Banks PedalMonster mod first. I was looking at the Pedal Commander modules, but read a few reviews where people said the things failed and basically left them stranded on the side of the road with the "engine failure" light flashing on their consoles. The Banks PedalMonster has a fail safe built in so if it fails for any reason, your car just reverts back to stock mode and you can finish any trip you are on. The PedalMonster will work in concert with any tunes you use too, and I still plan on doing that at a later date. Thanks for all the advice from everyone who gave it!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just a quick update. After some thought on this, I am starting out with a Banks PedalMonster mod first. I was looking at the Pedal Commander modules, but read a few reviews where people said the things failed and basically left them stranded on the side of the road with the "engine failure" light flashing on their consoles. The Banks PedalMonster has a fail safe built in so if it fails for any reason, your car just reverts back to stock mode and you can finish any trip you are on. The PedalMonster will work in concert with any tunes you use too, and I still plan on doing that at a later date. Thanks for all the advice from everyone who gave it!
I think the Banks Pedal Monster is superior to most! Good choice. It is just different throttle mapping, and absolutely zero power added. If you do get a tune I recommend removing the Pedal Monster, as most tuners will already mess with the throttle mapping, and the pedal monster could negatively affect that, if active, and cause shift points to be off especially in Sport. If you do keep it, be sure to mention it to your Tuner.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2016 Expedition running an HP Tune installed by Eddie at Elite Performance and Tune in Littleton, CO.

Since the initial tune I’ve done a few things. One of the big things was the installation of the Full Race Freak-O-Boost kit. After I finished that install I was headed out to a new contracting job that took me through Colorado; perfect timing for a re-tune.

To answer your question… yes, it was worth my time and money. As far as the punch yourF-150 had… I smoked a similarly equipped F-150 at the light. If you do something similar… oh man!!! You’ve got a slight increase in power rift off the bat in the newer EcoBoost. Not to mention there have probably been some power boosting improvements in the tuning process since I got mine done. So, see attachment for numbers at the rear wheels… also, remember the numbers you quoted are at the crank. Subtract 15%-20% from your figures and that be your approximate HP/TQ numbers at the wheels. So, if we do the reverse rule on my numbers (using the 15%) it would look more like this 436.47hp and 710.93lbs/ft. Ooohhh I love that math!!!

Attachments

• 325CB1D3-4A09-4E14-8127-D12652C59124.jpeg
    325CB1D3-4A09-4E14-8127-D12652C59124.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 16

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey @zablalbaz

There are MANY threads in the 3rd Gen area talking about tuning on these.

Also some here:

I ran 5 different options on my 2015/2017.

JMS Boostmax - plug in Module
Hypertech - Canned
SCT - Canned
LMS - Slightly tweaked, but not Data logged
ZFG - Heavily logged, and adjusted for my preferences. (Used a MPVI2 from HPTuners)

4 out of the 5 were perfectly good options, and each had advantages.

JMS Boostmax - Easy install, no programming, but did nothing for the Trans. Great option for most.
Hypertech - REALLY liked this little device - Pretty sure there is a Thread around here dedicated to my impressions of it. Even at the highest power level, full towing, and it could adjust tire size and TPMS settings very easily.
SCT - Canned tunes from SCT - Absolute crap. Never again!
LMS - Excellent for the 3rd Gen Ecoboosts, but left a lot to be desired on our 2020.
ZFG - All out tune! Adam@ZFG can make a Ecoboost dance! Data logging to tweak for yours. This is what I was running on the 2017 when traded in for the 2020. And what stays loaded on the 2020 now. Shifting both in the 6 Speed and now the 10 Speed is SO MUCH better than stock.

Many here are running 5 Star. Personally not a fan, but many have been happy there.

So looks like it’s gonna run $1000 to tune my 2020 with ZFG - $400 for the tune and $600 for the tuner.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So looks like it’s gonna run $1000 to tune my 2020 with ZFG - $400 for the tune and $600 for the tuner.
Yep. Want it done right? Remember the HP tuning devices, both the RTD, and MPVI can be used with many vehicles, SxS, Personal Watercraft, all at the same time. Just buy credits for each as you add them, and adapter cables for each(SxS, watercraft). The device is FAR more useful, and has superior logging to pretty much anything else on the market.

Also looks like $829 with RTD and 93 tuning...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01