Whoa....holy speedometer sweet spot!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcanfiel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FWIW - Today, same run:

Raining (so used 4H instead of 2A), 27.5mpg.

rcanfiel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Updates to earlier reported runs. Conditions are in the earlier posts. Tried a couple different speeds and am adding here:

45 MpH - 31mpG.
50 MpH - 33mpG.

Tried a "pulse and glide" run - to average 55mph. Concept is to speed (pulse) downhill to perhaps 65mph and glide downhill to perhaps 45mph. I averaged about 32mpG, and did not see the huge benefit some see (such as on ecomodder site). You are constantly running into cars at higher speed, and annoying others at the slower speeds. It is also a lot more of a mental load. Maybe on cars and not on trucks it works. Some swear by it, but I saw no benefit (on this one run).

As I see, 55mpH using cruise control was my sweet spot 0 I get about 31-32 mpG on this "downhill" run. Still have not done the reverse run to see optimal mpH, which is generally uphill and will obviously have much worse mpGs.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Updates to earlier reported runs. Conditions are in the earlier posts. Tried a couple different speeds and am adding here:

45 MpH - 31mpG.
50 MpH - 33mpG.

Tried a "pulse and glide" run - to average 55mph. Concept is to speed (pulse) downhill to perhaps 65mph and glide downhill to perhaps 45mph. I averaged about 32mpG, and did not see the huge benefit some see (such as on ecomodder site). You are constantly running into cars at higher speed, and annoying others at the slower speeds. It is also a lot more of a mental load. Maybe on cars and not on trucks it works. Some swear by it, but I saw no benefit (on this one run).

As I see, 55mpH using cruise control was my sweet spot 0 I get about 31-32 mpG on this "downhill" run. Still have not done the reverse run to see optimal mpH, which is generally uphill and will obviously have much worse mpGs.
We'll be driving back to the Harrisburg area of PA next month, that's a run of about 520 miles. Heading in always seems like more downhill than uphill (there are still hills) but generally once we get past Pittsburgh it feels like more downhill. Coming out it seems like more uphill driving until we get past Pittsburgh and then it's flat into Ohio and Indiana.

I'll post my average MPG going and coming back. My truck only has 1200 miles on it so it's still breaking in, but we'll see.

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around claims of >30 mpg

It's a V8 truck that weighs about 3 tons