Whoa....holy speedometer sweet spot!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am not convinced that you can rely on short term results such as the OP. I get great mileage downhill, and other situations. But that does not translate into longterm mileage gains based on the mpg guage. I drive 55 on the interstate (THAT is supposed to be a sweet spot based on studies I have seen on the web) and regular driving, and am getting about 15.5 overall. 12 mile commute to work and some around town stops. 09 EL

55 is an average for many random cars
Most of them FAR SMALLER with FAR weaker engines

Truck built with towing in mind isn't even a car, per se....

rcanfiel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I decided to put this to the test, on way to work.

Setup:
Interstate driving - 5 mile drive first to warm up engine - low hills - generally downhill - 8.5 miles - cruise control mostly.

Four Runs (2 - 55mph, 2 - 67 mph) - exact same course and similar traffic:
55MPH - 34mpg, 31.5mpg (avg about 33.5)
67MPH - 23 mpg, 22mpg (avg about 22.5)

I had to cut off a few trials, due to police or some erratic bonehead who forced me to slow and speed up a few times. The runs above are pretty steady, using cruise control.

Next: 4 runs home on same course, generally uphill.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Setup:
Interstate driving - 5 mile drive first to warm up engine - low hills - generally downhill - 8.5 miles - cruise control mostly.

I had to cut off a few trials, due to police or some erratic bonehead who forced me to slow and speed up a few times. The runs above are pretty steady, using cruise control.

what is your rear gear ratio?
and 2wd or 4wd
thats darn good

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been averaging 15, when I drive at the 69 "sweet spot" I only get 15.5 to 16. I did notice in the manual there is an instant mpg on the upgraded message center, I have the regular message center so maybe it's because I'm just getting a weighted average on mine. Some of you guys are getting very impressive numbers.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Setup:

Also to add to powerboatr post, what year is your Expedition?

rcanfiel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2009 Expy EL. Not sure the gearing ratio offhand, but it is heavy duty tow package. And I have AWD. The tests all used the 4A setting.

And remember, this is generally downhill (with moderate hills on the way) - uphill much worse. The point was, to compare 55mpg against this "high 60s" sweet spot. My runs show 55 was considerably better.

Today on this same downhill leg, it was about 28.5mpg at 56 - but rather colder outside than prior two runs at that speed.

I use the builtin MPG, but I do a reset right at the start of each run. I also avoided recording the ramp at each end when accelerating/decelerating, to best focus just on the tested speed.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2009 4wd, shorty or el?
base ratios were 3.31 or 3.55

big thing going for the ecoboost is more hp and tq. when you need the power of a bigger v8
imo...its so much fun to drive...

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2009 Expy EL. Not sure the gearing ratio offhand, but it is heavy duty tow package. And I have AWD. The tests all used the 4A setting.

And remember, this is generally downhill (with moderate hills on the way) - uphill much worse. The point was, to compare 55mpg against this "high 60s" sweet spot. My runs show 55 was considerably better.

Today on this same downhill leg, it was about 28.5mpg at 56 - but rather colder outside than prior two runs at that speed.

I use the builtin MPG, but I do a reset right at the start of each run. I also avoided recording the ramp at each end when accelerating/decelerating, to best focus just on the tested speed.
If it is a 4WD EL your rear is probably 3.73 I think that has been the stock ratio for a long time. My 05 had it and my 17 has it.