Whoa....holy speedometer sweet spot!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No idea honestly... Just got it and havent had much time to play around with it or to see what was/ is in it.

New to you used vehicle? Do a double oil change with some Seafoam or other such product:

1. Pour half a can in the crankcase pre-change, run anything from 10 minutes idle to 50 miles highway (schools of thought vary)
2. Change oil and filter, use cheap Motorcraft or Wally's Supertech & pour in the remaining product along with it
3. Change oil & filter AGAIN after 100-300 miles, feel free to use high end oil or additives now

Chances are you'll be *amazed* at the junk that flushes out...makes diesel oil look like spring water on occasion

Barjrob1972

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've hit 20+ with the cruise set at 65, which I later found out was 63 since my speedo is 2 mph off. My wife has been able to average 17+ when her Trailhawk was in the shop and she drove the EL for about a week or so, as she drives "correctly". I don't get that kind of mileage.
I've learned the mileage between my old 2007 EL and the 2015 EL (3.73) is not that different. Of course the 07 had the V8 and was 2WD. The 15 has the twin turbo and is 4wd so I guess one could say the 15 gets "better" mileage. It doesn't matter to us as we both love the EL.
I don't know about the rest of you guys but the sweet driving spot on our EL is about 85mph. That thing will cruise all day at that speed, at the sacrifice of mileage of course.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the rest of you guys but the sweet driving spot on our EL is about 85mph. That thing will cruise all day at that speed, at the sacrifice of mileage of course.
The fastest sustained driving that I have done so far is 77 on a trip to Toledo from Fort Wayne and 72 in the 65 MPH zones, I managed to get 14.63 actual mileage but I don't have a 1000 miles on it yet so I'm hoping it gets better as it loosens up.

Barjrob1972

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fastest sustained driving that I have done so far is 77 on a trip to Toledo from Fort Wayne and 72 in the 65 MPH zones, I managed to get 14.63 actual mileage but I don't have a 1000 miles on it yet so I'm hoping it gets better as it loosens up.

Here in Texas we have an 85 MPH road down around Austin. I love that road although my old, lifted F150 on 35's with 4:56's was getting 8 MPG. :facepalm:
It's the one I traded in on the EL so I'm kind'a happy with 15. Heck, that's better than my Wrangler gets.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here in Texas we have an 85 MPH road down around Austin. I love that road although my old, lifted F150 on 35's with 4:56's was getting 8 MPG. :facepalm:
It's the one I traded in on the EL so I'm kind'a happy with 15. Heck, that's better than my Wrangler gets.
When I lived in Oklahoma we regularly ran 85-90 down I-35 between Norman and Dallas. :D That a big improvement over your F150!

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I owned two different 5.4's and NEVER broke 17.5 MPG for more than a single stretch of road, at anything over 1200 rpm.

Yes engines reach resonance at a certain RPM based on ign maps, components weights, timing, exh length & diameter, static pressure in the exh and a whole host of factors.....we use that point of resonance in two stroke engines for setting the port timing and while the engine will certainly run more smoothly, well...think what you will but getting 20MPG out of a Ford 5.4 V8 is something I never saw in over 16 years & 360,000 miles of driving one.

jeff

rcanfiel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am not convinced that you can rely on short term results such as the OP. I get great mileage downhill, and other situations. But that does not translate into longterm mileage gains based on the mpg guage. I drive 55 on the interstate (THAT is supposed to be a sweet spot based on studies I have seen on the web) and regular driving, and am getting about 15.5 overall. 12 mile commute to work and some around town stops. 09 EL

RedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
this was last year but driving fro KS to Delaware, averaging 70MPG and got 17.8mpg this next trip..want to see if I get into the 18.5 range so will set cruise the entire way at 70 and see.... 75 is speed limit in KS... then 70 in MO, and 65 i think in the rest of the east bound journey... but mountains too, so that played into it as well..