Why do these expeditions seem such a bargin?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roush9799

Reaction score
I've been searching around for a different vehicle. I would like to have something with more room than my '02 mountaineer for my family trips. Been looking at '09+ 4 door F-150's but just don't have the coin to afford one right now. Seen some expo's with around 100k miles on them for dirt cheap. These are loaded vehicles, and look fantastic. Really thinking of selling off my Mountaineer that has almost 100k miles on it and buying one of these. I think I could almost buy one for what I would get out of the mounty.

Few more questions. When did they go from the 2v to 3v motors? I've had both in the past in an '02 f150 and '04 f 150.

Are these plagued by the transmission issues that you see on the Explorer/Mountaineers? sort of a reason to get rid of the Mountaineer while the trans is working fine.

Do they only come in the 5.4L, or are they available with the 4.6L? I really miss the power that my f 150's had over this mountaineer with the small v8 in it. All I've seen have the 5.4L.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The expeditions have the same frame as the short bed single cab f150 from what I've read. I was in the same situation as you. I wanted the 04-08 f150 and was ready to repair the cam phaser issue. Once I got to looking at prices, they were outrageous. I figured I could get the same power and loaded truck for almost half of the same specs f150. The 2004 had a 2v (which is what I have) and the 05 started the 3v. The transmissions in these are the same as the f150 counterparts. Mine is a 4r100 and so far so good at 125k. I also looked at explorers and mountaineers with the issues that you are talking about and for just a little more I could get the bigger vehicle and more power with the 5.4. The expeditions came with both 4.6 and 5.4, however, the 5.4 was the more popular of the two and that's what most people recommend since there is negligible fuel economy difference.

Mine is a Eddie Bauer loaded with everything minus the sunroof and heated/cooled seats and I paid 8000 for it with 115k in March. They tow pretty decent for their weight and have many of the creature comforts that people find in newer vehicles. If you tow a lot make sure you get the tow package which has a trans cooler and 7 pin in the back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

roush9799

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I don't tow much.
Have a 00 f250 with a 7.3 farm truck for that. You also answered another question I forgot to ask, the wheelbase. Now I know what they compare to, should be able to maneuver good then.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It actually has a tighter turning radius than my 99 mustang. It amazes me how tight it will turn

northernexp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I know what u mean by turning radius, it's amazing how easy it is to parallel my expedition, it feels like it had almost half or 3/4 more of a turn on the steering wheel than my sports car

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

roush9799

Reaction score
Well, I found a nice 2005 eddie bauer 4x4 for sale at the local stealership. It looks brand new inside and out. They are asking $8900 for it. It's at 121,000 miles, and it's completely loaded. I think it's a bit on the high side for others I've seen on craigslist with fewer miles. I'm gonna have to call them tomorrow and feel them out. Thinking more around $7000. Tires look brand new. Gonna ask them about the spark plugs and previous owner. I'm sure they will let me take it home for a day to drive it and look it over. They are good about that. My only dilemma now if I do buy it, is what car I should sell. I have an '08 escape that I've had since new with 105k miles on it, and I'm a 2nd owner of an '02 mountaineer with 93k miles on it. The escape is mechanically sound, starting to show some rust around the inside of the tailgate and a couple bubbles around the left rear fender. Mounaineer has no rust, but needs front wheel bearings, cam phasers, and not sure when the time bomb tranny in this will implode, but so far so good on it.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not a bad price. My 2004 was loaded minus sunroof and heated seats with 115,000 for 8k

OP
OP
R

roush9799

Reaction score
Well, went out to talk to the dealer. We didn't discuss price, he just said the keys are in it, its got 1/4th tank of gas, and I'll see you in the morning. I got it home and crawled in and under and all around it. There's two minor problems. Oil pan was seeping a bit of oil, as is the transfer case. Other than that, I've seen year old vehicles in worse shape than this. There is almost 0 rust on the frame. Had to look to find any. Runs and drives great with no noises/vibrations. 4x4 works like it should. Said the previous owners traded it for a navigator. Said that the vehicle came in that clean, they didn't have to touch it. I could probably live with the bit of oil, but I'll use it as leverage. They have it listed online for $8900. Think I'm gonna sell the mountaineer if I end up with this. Seems like they have more mechanical issues than escapes.

03EXPO4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, I wrecked my 05 f150 xlt extended cab pretty basic 4x4 with cloth seats with 230,000 miles and ended up getting an 03 Eddie Bauer with around 115,000 4x4 loaded with everything, full wood grain interior front and back,full captain seats front and back with hidden third, sunroof, heated cooled leather seats, 6 disk changer, in dash screen, tow package and still had money left over.

Last edited: