Why do you drive an Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Needed a vehicle large enough to haul the family. Also, have a 1998 Lincoln Navigator and hardly experienced any engine/mechanical problems.

Also, since I worked on the 5.4L Navigator (260HP), I was comfortable getting the Expy which was the same engine.

I also like the Expy styling over the other vehicles at the time. The Nissan Armada was not available and I wasn't really fond of the bubble window they were sporting (as well as waiting for it since it was still not available).

The fold down rear seats are great considering I always had to remove the 3rd row seats in the Navigator.

Last edited:

hollister_jim

Reaction score
The choice was easy for me but a tough one for the wife.. She wanted the 04 sienna minivan. I wouldn't stand for it.

After many arguments I won:cheers: Now I can't get her out of the thing.

Stickered at 51k paid 41k

-jim

G

I'm not loyal to any brand but I've had great luck with Ford trucks over the years. I've had a '89 Ranger 4X4 STX, a 95 F150 EB 4X4, a 98 Expy EB 4X4, and now the '03 Expy XLT 4X4. With all those trucks over the last 15 years I have had minimal problems. The one time I diverted was when I traded the 95 F150 for a 96 Chevy Tahoe. Although I loved that truck (especially the 350) I ended up with a blown tranny and some major engine intake work before I finally dumped it with about 96K miles.
I bought the '98 EB Expy and it was trouble free for 4 years until the air suspension started going haywire.

G

Well I've had this 2003 X for almost a year now(it was 8 months old when I bought it). It has 55,000 miles and so far I'm very impressed with it.

It runs strongs and tows like a hoss. No mechanical problems so far (fingers crossed). If this Ford keeps it up I will not return to GM junk products for the foreseeable future. And that's a hard pill to swallow considering I've been a GM fan for over 30 years.

The truck has a superior ride on a smooth pavement. The only time wind noise is bad is in a hard cross wind. Other than that it is dead quite.

Slowly becoming a hardcore "Forder".

Cody

ritexada

Reaction score
Bought the 2003 for the practicality of the vehicle

The 2003 Expedition had the most practical usages that I could use to make my life easier when it came down to many situations. First of all, I love the keypad on the drivers door. This should be on all vehicles. Keeps me from locking my keys in the car by mistake. The "Onstar" system is just not practical and convenient when this happens. Cup holders (Plenty!) They are everywhere....in the doors, etc. Lumbar, 3rd row flat folding seats (This really sold me, because I used to have to pull out the 3rd bench all of the time to load my gear). And of course the bold style of it! It really stands out with a sense of presence! And many more features (Towing package, reverse sensers, heated and cooled seats, etc.) for such a low cost!!!

Attachments

• 03expo.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 327

AZ IZZ

Reaction score
With the 3rd child on the way the wife and i were disagreeing on the name of our future child. She wanted a minivan and a certain name, i wanted a full size suv (tahoe, surb, exp) and a different name.

A week later we had a new 01 EXP, 2 weeks later we had a beautiful baby with a name we agreed upon. I WON!!!! Like others i have been a GM fan and have been thourghly impressed with the expedition, except we have a 4th child now and cargo space is limited. I too can't get my wife out of it.

Either way i am happy with my choice and there is no Replacement For Displacement.

G

I bought mine for the wonderful fuel mileage:p Actually, my ex's dad had a dealership. Mine came in as a Ford Program vehicle. I got it at cost. I needed something big to carry all my crap for work. My family has mostly Fords. Step dad has an F250 (only his third vehicle since 1976, all Fords), Mom has an E-250 for her business, brother has Ranger. I'll take a Ford over any other vehicle to start when temps are sub-zero.

FoMoCoExPy

Reaction score
I will admit I have been a big Ford fan for about 13 years now, I have had 2 explorers in the last 11 years, put a total of 260,000 miles on the 2 of them, with only one problem between them both, a shift position snesor for the 4x4 system, it is a borg-warner design and when I picked it up they were on the 7th rev. So I guess it was of poor design to start with.

>As far as My '03 Expy goes I have 45,771 miles on it as of today when I parked it in the lot here at work. I love it! I looked at The GMC yukon, I really like how the outside of the truck looks, but thats about it. The interior of all GM vehicles looks cheap and the fit and finish is below par, I like what Edmonds sayed about the interior plastics of the GM trucks/suvs, they said it looked like GM contracts there plastics out to Hasbro (toy company) I could not have said it better myself. Also, I like the 5.4L low end grunt better than the 5.3 from the general. The Durango was never an option, and the toy, well as someone said way over priced & underpowered, they look nice tho and I'm sure there build quality is top notch. The new Nissian Armada is a relitive new entry in the fray, there outside lines are just to exagerated for me to have to look at in my driveway everyday, the 5.6L endurance engine looks like a very nice powerplant tho.

But all things considered, I think Ford had the best overall fit and finish and overall package (for myself) And with all of the upgrades on the way in the next 2 model years, it sounds like Ford has no intention of letting there full-sized brute turning old or out-of-date on us.

Keep up the good work Ford, my vote (money) is with you. :cheers: