Why is a hunk of metal referred to as ‘she’?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eagle 71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Many years ago, a reporter asked FADM Halsey why a Naval warship was referred to as ‘she’. Admiral Halsey answered as follows: “A ship is referred to as ‘she’ because it costs so much in upkeep and effort to keep her looking pretty”. Splendid answer BTW.

Fast forward to earlier this decade, when I finally finished the restoration on my T-Bird (pictured in my avatar). I was trying to think of an appropriate nickname for my T-Bird, when I remembered Admiral Halsey’s answer from so long ago. So, I thought to myself, what actress used a lot of makeup to make her look pretty? The only name that came to mind was Elizabeth Taylor, aka ‘Liz’, so I applied Halsey’s answer towards the namesake of my T-Bird’s restoration.

Fast forward again, to a month or so ago. I purchased this gorgeous (and I use that word as a confirmed heterosexual), 2013, Ruby-Red-Metallic Expedition, with all the bells & whistles. So, what name would I honor her with? The answer – 'Elizabeth'. Reason: She drives like a mother, but much too-good-looking, and I had to trade ‘Liz’ in to procure her.

201807-4955ee932c03466183c15986f90618a5.jpg

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look at the bright side, it didn't take the money from 8 of your toys to afford the new girl. Like the 8 marriages of our dear Liz! Llke Lizzie hopefully yours being the last year 5.4, Ford got it right. Good looking Suv.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Truck does look sharp.....

Contrary to many, I do not refer to my track/cars/bikes or boat as "her"....But I do understand the reasoning.....none work well without heavy doses of lubrication but run well with lots of noise when you slam them in the ass!

jeff

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the words of Jeff Foxworthy, women are like diesel motors. It takes a while to get them going, but when you do, they can run a long, long, long time. Where Men are like bottle rockets, we fizzle out real quick, with a ooh, ahh!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk