Why no 5.0 on new Expy’s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That whipple F150 doing that pull in your video is probably a $15k build with everything necessary and the custom tuning work. For about 1/10 of that the ecoboost can basically match numbers. Even if you blow it up at some point you've saved enough for a complete custom motor build...

E85 does silly things with forced induction. I had a GM 3800 on a stock valve train aside from some 1.8 rollers with some nice headers/catback that ran on a 3.2" pulley with 20 degrees of timing and around 12psi in a stock blower which might as well been a heat pump at those rpms at WOT. Most full sized intercooled guys couldn't do that and spent $2k more than I did on parts alone.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That whipple F150 doing that pull in your video is probably a $15k build with everything necessary and the custom tuning work. For about 1/10 of that the ecoboost can basically match numbers. Even if you blow it up at some point you've saved enough for a complete custom motor build...

E85 does silly things with forced induction. I had a GM 3800 on a stock valve train aside from some 1.8 rollers with some nice headers/catback that ran on a 3.2" pulley with 20 degrees of timing and around 12psi in a stock blower which might as well been a heat pump at those rpms at WOT. Most full sized intercooled guys couldn't do that and spent $2k more than I did on parts alone.

An EcoBoost isn’t matching the numbers of a built 5.0 with a stage 2 blower lol. I get that there are a lot of V8 haters out there, many being import guys. But for guys who enjoy American muscle and Boating the V8 engine is pretty much our thing......if it doesn’t fire on 8 I’m not as excited. Granted I totally respect the ecoboost, crazy power for a freaking 3.5 liter engine! The thing pulls trailers like a freight train. But live and let live.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Children... if I wanted a dragster I wouldn’t buy a truck. I drive on streets not drag strips.

The 5.0 in the F150 remains available and is a far better platform than the 3.5 or 2.7 tt in its simplicity, reliability and maintenance.

Go on YouTube and search the video of Ford dealer mechanics being interviewed asked which design they would purchase. Almost all except for one voted for the 5.0.

3tonsoffun

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Children... if I wanted a dragster I wouldn’t buy a truck. I drive on streets not drag strips.

The 5.0 in the F150 remains available and is a far better platform than the 3.5 or 2.7 tt in its simplicity, reliability and maintenance.

Go on YouTube and search the video of Ford dealer mechanics being interviewed asked which design they would purchase. Almost all except for one voted for the 5.0.
Yeah better carry plenty of spare oil with you with that 5 slow as that’s a well documented issue the ecoboosts don’t have. 5.0 is only really impressive if you SC or TC it. Record on f150 forum I believe for a regular cab 5.0 supercharged in 9.24

Plenty of guys pushing power out of a SC 5.0 but in prefer the 3.5 platform

https://www.ford-trucks.com/article...UU8rdr4ZLJBlXD4atMJWVfJ4m68_EhFdWKSmPUSJWHTts

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
The common ailment of the early 5.0’s were cylinder oblongation. It was resolved in later years.

3tonsoffun

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An EcoBoost isn’t matching the numbers of a built 5.0 with a stage 2 blower lol. I get that there are a lot of V8 haters out there, many being import guys. But for guys who enjoy American muscle and Boating the V8 engine is pretty much our thing......if it doesn’t fire on 8 I’m not as excited. Granted I totally respect the ecoboost, crazy power for a freaking 3.5 liter engine! The thing pulls trailers like a freight train. But live and let live.
I have to agree here. Fastest 3.5L 5 star has did the 1/4 in 11.2?? I think. That 5.0 is already turned around and headed back by that time.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother owns a Platinum 2016 w 5.0 and 85,*** miles.

No oil leaks.

Some 2018 and 2019 trucks had oil loss, Ford originally replaced long blocks then later released a technical service bulletin to reflash the pcm to relieve excess manifold vacuum pressure from sucking oil up into the top end since engineering determined the returned engines had no internal problems. They also revised the PCV valve so some owners had to get a bunch of work done on newer trucks. Seems the 2020 trucks don’t have this issue anymore though.

Last edited: