Why only a shock absorber?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4evrnyt

Reaction score
I have a 2000 XLT 4x4 5.4

I would like to firm up the ride as the vehicle dips too much in turns. I peaked underneath the front of the truck and noticed that there is no coil spring or strut, just a shock absorber. Just a regular shock absorber at that, no air lift.

That seems fairly inadequate for the engine bearing part of the suspension and given the vehicles overall girth in general. I see there is a coil spring on the rear but nothing for the front?

Clearly, I'm very surprised by this.

Secondly, is replacing those shock absorbers my only option for trying to firm up the ride and if so what is recommended?

Thanks.

*edit* Ok, so I discovered torsion bar suspension. If that's that main weight bearing spring for the front, what do I need to replace to firm that up?

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The torsion bars are adjustable. They can also be replaced with ones that have different spring rates. Most would consider a torsion bar suspension to be far superior to coil or leaf springs.

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, an IFS with a coilover shock (like a strut) will far outperform a torsion bar- in on road handling, comfort and offroad performance.

But 1st gens have torsion bars.

Make sure your sway bar is connected on both sides and along the frame in the middle.

You can tighten the torsion bar adjuster bolts, but that will also raise the front of the truck. And you need an alignment afterwards.

You can also replace the shocks with better shocks. Rancho makes an adjustable shock for the front.

OP
OP

4evrnyt

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'm having a hard time finding aftermarket torsion bars for my truck. 2000 xlt 4x4