Anyone know where to get stiffer torsion bars? 7700 torsion bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tjhoward84

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 1st gen Expy (1999, 4x4 with the factory 4-wheel air ride suspension) with a full Lightning drive train swap (yes, its a lot of fun to drive). I am the original owner (bought it in Aug. 1999) and will never get rid of this machine.

I lowered it a few years ago using the Ground Force kit (new torsion bars keys in the front and new relocating bracket in the rear). I also have 22" wheels that have 12" wide tires. The tires are so wide and have so little side wall height they catch all of the ruts and groves in the road and throw the truck all over the place. Also, the truck seems to "float" even on good, non-groved roads. I am thinking that since I lowered it the torsion bars are not "twisted" enough causing the truck to float. I have heard that changing the torsion bars out with F250LD (Light Duty) torsion bars should fix the "floating" issue.

I've read where the torsion bars from 1997 - 1999 F250LD (Light Duty) will fix this problem. They are referred to as the 7700 Torsion Bars with a spring code of 7. The Expeditions that came with the 4 corner load leveling air suspension have softer torsion bars so then you unload them to get the truck to sit lower, it tends to make the front end "float".

The problem is the 7700 torsion bars are no longer available. I would have to get them from a junk yard. I really don't want to go thru the trouble of getting them, pulling the old ones out and installing the used ones only to find out this won't fix my problem.

Anyone have experience with this?

Has anyone done this swap?

justKen

Reaction score

Ouch - ~$1,300.... for a 16% increase in rate.

Seems to me that the Gen I platform is ripe for an adjustable coil over/ UCA/ LCA/ Adjustable Bumpstops "kit" of sorts. Though my, and many other's, concern is regarding achieving moderate lift, migrating away from the torsion bars while achieving a wide range of height adjustment with improved capability of dialing in handling characteristics would be a huge update to this platform.

Most all of these parts are available individually if one is inclined to do the searching (and investment) for testing different combinations, as well as any additional fabrication/ modification necessary in order for the adaptation to work properly and remain safe.

/K