Wierd clicking noise from front pass wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadowless127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Once per full rotation there's a clicking noise, almost like something is catching as it comes around. Pads and rotors are in fantastic condition (Pads look brand new), cv joints look in good shape. Originally my GF made it sound like her brakes were grinding which is how I know the pads and rotors are in good shape. AFter putting it back together i drove it and heard the noise. I haven't had time or location to put it up on a jack since I looked at the pads. Curious if there are any known issues that could cause this.

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be a vacum leak from the IWE vacum Solenoid, I would probably say it is a CV joint problem though, check you're wheel barings I know that will also do them same.

I am pretty sure you know how but for others who dont.

Jack the suv car or truck up just like changing a tire, once the tire is off the ground grab it and try and wiggle it around there should not be any play. If there is replace the wheel baring

Last edited:

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I doubt it's any type of vacuum solenoid, as it's a metallic sound. I will check the bearings.

Wrong... Without vacuum going to the Hub actuators, the hubs will be engaged and locked...

When the vacuum is leaking or not fully open, the gears in the locking hub actuator will be only partially engaged, thus making a loud metallic grinding noise in the front hub.

The IWE solenoid is a $30 part and easy to replace.. This is one of the most common cause of noises heard on the Expedition/F150s. If replacing this does not fix the noise, then I would look deeper...

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Once per full rotation there's a clicking noise, almost like something is catching as it comes around.

Wait.. When you spun the wheel, was it with the motor on or off.. When the motor is on, vacuum will pull the hub actuator gears away from the half shaft, thus the front diff will not in anyway spin..

Happy hunting :)

joneskt

Reaction score
Have you had any service done on the front end where they had to remove the wheels, spindle, or control arms? There is a metal cap on the on the wheel that may just be rattling. I put a couple drops of RTV on it to hold in place.

OP
OP
S

Shadowless127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wait.. When you spun the wheel, was it with the motor on or off.. When the motor is on, vacuum will pull the hub actuator gears away from the half shaft, thus the front diff will not in anyway spin..

Happy hunting :)

I didn't spin it while in the air because I was unaware of it. It was on the road and it drive. If I just let off the brake and let it roll i can hear the sound, almost like one of the retainer clips catching on something.

Have you had any service done on the front end where they had to remove the wheels, spindle, or control arms? There is a metal cap on the on the wheel that may just be rattling. I put a couple drops of RTV on it to hold in place.

Only service done was replacing the front right rim with a different style F150 rim (the original rim was screwed up pretty bad).

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is a long shot...

Are your wheels on the passenger torqued? If your wheel nuts are loose, you will hear a clickiing noise while driving...