Will disconnecting battery reset a steady Check Engine light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hosed off the Expy today at a carwash and steady Check Engine light was on after driving away. No noticeable engine symptoms, running normally. Considered the fuel door ('15 Expy with cap-less filler) might have broken seal, so I dried it off and made sure it sealed well when getting home. Understand the need for pulling codes to run it down, but was wondering if disconnecting the battery (neg terminal) will reset the light in an effort to repeat the fault before taking to a shop for codes. Am aware of earlier Fords working this way.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hosed off the Expy today at a carwash and steady Check Engine light was on after driving away. No noticeable engine symptoms, running normally. Considered the fuel door ('15 Expy with cap-less filler) might have broken seal, so I dried it off and made sure it sealed well when getting home. Understand the need for pulling codes to run it down, but was wondering if disconnecting the battery (neg terminal) will reset the light in an effort to repeat the fault before taking to a shop for codes. Am aware of earlier Fords working this way.

Not if it is a permanent code. Even some short term codes won’t be.

If it is EVAP related(Cap). Go for a few drives where you get over 45. It should clear itself...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think some of the auto parts stores, Advanced and AutoZone will pull codes and reset for free.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Disconnecting the battery/ resetting with scanner will clear the light. However, if issue that set the code still exists the light will come back on. Usually takes 35-50mi for the vehicle to register issue exists; then the light will return.

Flight-ER-Doc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Amazon sells a bluetooth OBD-II scanner for ~$10, and there's an app, Torque Lite (free) that allows you to reset it....

VERY handy to reset CEL lights for stupid reasons...