Winch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eric Brogan

Reaction score
Looking to start doing some off grid camping with the family and our 27' 6k LBS travel trailer. I want to be prepared if the roads are ******. Been looking but can't find any winch mounts for my 2010 Expy. I don't want to do the front 2" hitch mount due to it lowering ground clearance. Has anyone seen anything that doesn't cost more than the vehicle?

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The front 2" receiver doesn't really kill your approach angles or ground clearance as much as you'd think. It certainly won't be noticeable relative to the 27' of trailer you'll be lugging around.

The challenge with the receiver is where to store the winch when it's not in use. Keeping it mounted is an option but not something I do on mine. I keep the winch inside the truck when not in use but haven't found a decent way of securing it via anything other than its own weight. Bad idea if you're doing any real offroading, but again, that trailer will be your limiting factor.

All that said, folks have successfully mounted the 2010 F150 hidden winch mount on the Expeditions. From what I've read and seen it all bolts up and looks clean, but accessing the winch can be tricky since our grills don't lift up with the hood as they do on the pickups. It wouldn't work if you had the ecoboost as it sits where the intercooler resides but you'll be fine for clearance with that 5.4 under the hood.

OP
OP
E

eric Brogan

Reaction score
Thanks for the Info. I will probably go with the hidden winch. I saw that before just wanted to see if anyone else had something different. I'm not looking to do any heavy offroading just looking for a way out if the unimproved road is all jacked up. Appreciate the help.

vincentrose

Reaction score
After doing extensive research, including here and youtube. It looks like the Rough Country Winch mount for the 09-14 F150 will work on the 09-14 Expedition, but will have to cut a hole in the bumper for the cable to to through, but not sure. So I pulled the trigger and ordered one for mine, so we will see if it works or not. As long as the fairlead hole on the mount matches up to an area on the bumper that can be cut, it'll be a go. We will see

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I rather like the idea of a wench on the front of my expedition. Lets people know I ain't triflin' around with city women...

vincentrose

Reaction score
Well, the Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount for the F150 did work on my 2014 Expedition, it took some finagling to get it on there, the bolt holes under the frame where it mounts did line up, but you have to loosen the bumper so it will slide forward a little bit then tighten the bumper back once the winch mount is in place, YAY!. Now I will try and install the winch. stay tuned