wind deflectors for hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

I have just ordered a new Expedition. I have noticed several SUV's around that have a dark gray plastic wind delfector mounted on the leading edge of the hood. I imagine this is for rocks and bugs to be deflected from the windshield. Do they work? Where could I find some?

Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
G

Hi Dudley...the Bug and rock deflectors do work...I've always put them on my trucks and my new 03EX also has one. Ford can sell you one pretty cheap and it fits perfectly with the hood. The window deflectors are also available.

PS: I have added mud guards to my EX. They are colored tan like the EB color and fit with the running boards....especially on the front wheels....when you pull a trailer you absolutely need mudguards or stone chips will eat up the front of your trailer. Also from Ford but difficult for them to find them in their list...be persistent!

OP
OP
G

bug deflectors

Thanks JC. I went ahead and got the Ford deflector from the dealer. I put it on myself and had a rattle and hum from it when I reached 70mph. I took back to the dealer to see if they could fix it. They could not, so I got a refund. I am going to try and get another one from somewhere else, probably Performance Products.

Thanks for the info on mud flaps.

-Bob

OP
OP
G

Hi Dudley....when Ford installed the bug deflector they also installed the four rubber support that stick to the hood behind the deflector....this eliminates vibrations.
Good luck.
JC

scottf200

Reaction score
Looks like you can get them to match your paint color as well.

This site has a HOWTO install (must register).

http://www.fordtruckworld.com/howto.asp

From there I found "Auto Ventshade - The entire kit consists of the Bugflector II, a small parts bag and the well written instructions. The only tools needed is a Phillips-head screwdriver. The Bugflector II is colormatched by using 3M ScotchCal High Performance Films. "

Colors and Paint Codes available are:
..Oxford White YX
..Bright Red Vermillion E4
..Amazon Green SU
..Deep Wedgwood Blue LL
..Harvest Gold BZ
..Toreador Red FL
..Light Prarie Tan BA
..Black UA
More colors to be made available.

"Bugflector II wrap around design offers a sleek, aerodynamic appearance that contours to the lines of your vehicle. "

I haven't found "Auto Ventshade" for the '03 yet, tho, but they appear to be sold on a variety of sites.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Those bug deflector ONLY help the front of hood against bugs and rock chips.
They don't do squat for the windshield protection.
The ugly old deflectors worked well.They were the straight up type.Truckers use that type.
I bought a new aerodynamic clear deflector and had my buddy at his shop paint the inside white like my expy.
I never use it as I think it looks ugly.I'll stick with my billet grill without the deflector.The look is much better.

OP
OP
G

I've got one on order. It doesn't look that bad on a black Expedition.

I've used on the Mustang and it's saved my hood from damage. Without it, after 50k miles the hood was peppered with chips. Respray and deflector- 10k miles, the hood looks almost new.

If clear headlight covered were available, I'd install them too. The plastic Ford uses on the new headlight assemblys pit very easily.

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not to stray too far off subject but I thought I'd share an alternative to the bug shield.

Attachments

• cnv0012.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 373

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
monsta,

I used one of these on my last truck, and it really screwed the paint up. I think it was the heat (they are black) with the wetness that it traps, etc. I would suggest that folks take the bra off once in a while to let it breath.

I hope this is not happening to you!!!

Anyways, just a tidbit from my own experience, for which I am now using the typical smoke colored bug shield that everyone else has.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65