Wind noise from driver's door?

Do you have loud wind noise from your driver's window?

• Yes

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CubSmurf

Reaction score
My last car was extremely quiet going down the highway, where the Expedition has LOTS of wind noise from the driver's door.

As far as I can tell it is NOT the large mirror but the gap between the window weather stripping and the window glass itself. There is a lip on the weather stripping that goes away from the glass, presumably to make it easy for window to slide into place. Passenger window had some lip on the weather stripping, so doesn't seem to be a defect.

Do you have loud wind noise from your driver's window?

EDIT: Mine is a 2017 XLT

Last edited:

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's definitely there, I wouldn't say it's loud or unbearable. Overall my 16 is a quiet ride

OP
OP
C

CubSmurf

Reaction score
It's definitely there, I wouldn't say it's loud or unbearable. Overall my 16 is a quiet ride
Yeah, I wouldn't call unbearable either. Just more noticeable than my last car. Glad to hear it's not just mine:)

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't call unbearable either. Just more noticeable than my last car. Glad to hear it's not just mine:)

You're definitely not losing your mind. Especially when oncoming traffic passes by. I'm sure most of them do it. I put about 600 miles a week on a clapped out 06 malibu, so anything is quieter than that thing.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do not know how many miles on your truck (more door use), but the edge of weatherstrip wears or flattens. Try adding some spacer behind rubber to tighten up gap when door is closed. Piece of cardboard cut in thin strips worked on my barely noticeable noise when radio was off. Front top leading edge is usually the culprit.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do not know how many miles on your truck (more door use), but the edge of weatherstrip wears or flattens. Try adding some spacer behind rubber to tighten up gap when door is closed. Piece of cardboard cut in thin strips worked on my barely noticeable noise when radio was off. Front top leading edge is usually the culprit.
I agree, the noise was probably less when it was brand new and it has to be air rushing past the rubber.

OP
OP
C

CubSmurf

Reaction score

67k miles. So, not a ton but not a little either.

It does seem to sound/feel like weather stripping. Are you talking about the door weather stripping or the window? I'll try the cardboard thing when I get a chance. Thanks for the idea!

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
67k miles. So, not a ton but not a little either.

It does seem to sound/feel like weather stripping. Are you talking about the door weather stripping or the window? I'll try the cardboard thing when I get a chance. Thanks for the idea!
The door weatherstripping was the problem with mine. My truck is an '07 with 134,700 on mine.