Window tinting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I had the front two doors tinted to match the factory tint around the back. I'm really liking how it turned out. I went with 20% and a ceramic based tint that reflects radiant heat and blocks UV. It's the same tint I have on my Cadillac sedan and I have loved it.

My question is - have any of you had tint work done? Pics? I'm debating on having a strip done at the top of my windshield to cut down the low sun in my eyes at dawn/dusk. I just don't want to have it reminiscent of my high school cars. Gotta stay classy!

39d8a8f32a19ad8af7a24b7766a32a64.jpg

Highlightreel

Reaction score
Nice work! Looks great. Getting my Expy early next week and going to do same exact thing. But I need to get a prescription for the windshield brow and for darker than 50% in front (I may just do 50% for front 2) and then I'm also doing 35% (or more) on the rest. I want it dark, just not limo dark in back. I have 35% on my 09 Suburban and they could be a tish darker.

Does the 20 in back make it limo dark or what % does it translate to? I've never done the brow. How do you like it? How many inches is the strip?

Tom T

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did front two doors, sunroof and windshield with LLumar Air 80. I like it....;-)

OP
OP
nate6966

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice work! Looks great. Getting my Expy early next week and going to do same exact thing. But I need to get a prescription for the windshield brow and for darker than 50% in front (I may just do 50% for front 2) and then I'm also doing 35% (or more) on the rest. I want it dark, just not limo dark in back. I have 35% on my 09 Suburban and they could be a tish darker.

Does the 20 in back make it limo dark or what % does it translate to? I've never done the brow. How do you like it? How many inches is the strip?

The rear is all still factory tint only on mine. It's essentially 20%. However, with the panoramic roof, it's not as dark as you'd think. Limo tint is 5%. Most "light" tint jobs are 35%. If you go only 50%, you'll only get UV blocking benefits and no privacy addition. Id recommend 35% if you'd like to go very light. Most tint shops have display examples that will help get your mind wrapped around it.
You shouldn't need a prescription to do 35% on the front doors. I've only heard of prescription requirements if you're looking to tint the windshield below the top strip (which I wouldn't do).

Highlightreel

Reaction score
Thanks. Fyi, in Iowa (I travel there for work a few times a month) it is illegal to have any tint on the front 2 windows. So lots of cars either do it illegally or in say a 4 door car, they tint the back 2 and the rear window and the front 2 windows are not tinted at all. It is so lame and looks exactly how you think it would look.

In MN, where I'm from, you can only go to 50% tint on the front 2. If you want more, you need a prescription or can just do it illegally. But of the 3 tint shops I have spoken with 2 have said they'd need proof of a prescription and the other would need a waiver signed to go darker on the front 2 and to do the brow. They claim for liability reasons in case I crashed because I "couldn't see". I currently have 50% on my suburban front 2 windows and many times I walk up to it and think there's no tint at all. But I also don't want to piss off police and give them a reason to stop me.

OP
OP
nate6966

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That stinks! How crazy to have such limits.
I'm with you, though. I wouldn't want to be irritating any police or increasing my chances of getting pulled over. And if every cat around has the same lame limitations, it's mot like you'd stand out.
A great solution is the clear UV blocking film that at least helps with UV rays and solar heat.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tinted every window except for the sunroof and it’s all legal to the state I live in. I didn’t do the roof because I am of the understanding that it’s already a UV protection glass... if that’s not the case I need to do it.