Windshield Wiper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nate03

Reaction score
So I was pulling the boat back from vacation in the rain and my passenger side blade just stops. Pull over and it is not doing anything. Brought it to my mechanic today and he said it probably just needs adjusted because it popped off. Turns out it didn't and I need a new motor I guess. $280.00 for part and labor. In a freaking 2017?!?!?! Anyone else have this issue and is it possible he missed something?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Erh....there should only be one motor that serves both front wipers. There is a connecting rod (under the lower windshield cowling) that has several pivot joints held together with small pins. Those pins can fall out and disconnect the rod.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never taken mine apart, but, commonly one motor turns a linkage = both wipers move.

If your drivers side is/was still working, then I'd speculate its not the motor.

OP
OP
N

Nate03

Reaction score
He might have said linkage and not motor. Perhaps that's what it was. All I heard was the price and was fuming since it's a 17. How hard would it be to get to the pivot joints under the lower windshield cowling? Could I do it fairly easily. Not a mechanic.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He might have said linkage and not motor. Perhaps that's what it was. All I heard was the price and was fuming since it's a 17. How hard would it be to get to the pivot joints under the lower windshield cowling? Could I do it fairly easily. Not a mechanic.
This is for an F-150. Your mileage may vary, but the process is the same.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could I do it fairly easily. Not a mechanic.

Depends on easy you can come up with $280, lol But for real, If your not a mechanic and it's not under warranty, I'd let your mechanic do it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Bruce Mitchell

Reaction score
Hate to ask, but is the vehicle still under warranty? If not, how far out of warranty? Call Ford Customer Assistance and see if they'll cover it for you.

brhulen

Reaction score
That's exactly what happened to my 2011 Expedition Limited. The problem is most likely the pivot point has worn out and become disconnected. It is a pressed assembly and cannot be rebuilt. FoMoCo doesn't sell the linkage separately, you have to buy the complete wiper assembly which includes the motor. I don't understand this as the linkage unbolts from the motor. If your motor is bad I kept mine as a spare and I would sell it to you if you need it.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From another thread:
Happened to me. You can pull the cowl plastics and get creative with some zip ties for a temporary fix but you'll be back in there again in 6 months.

You'll end up breaking clips so go ahead order these ahead of time: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006OCTUG8/

The real fix is to order and install the whole wiper assembly. Thankfully it's a relatively cheap part.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080B3Z44/

As for installation, it's seriously some voodoo. The engineering that went into making sure it can be slid into place is beyond me, but it does somehow fit. To say it's fiddly is an understatement. Pay very close attention to the orientation of the existing assembly when you manage to remove it because the new one has to go in the same way. I didn't, and the 20 minute job took me 2 hours of twisting and turning and pushing and cursing.

Seriously, it's only a 20 minute job if you can quickly figure out how the assembly slides into the cowl. It comes out and goes in from the driver's side of the truck.