Wireless charging pad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buzzie0013

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone rigged up a wireless charging pad? I’m thinking in the rectangular tray in the center console.

Mean_Dean

Reaction score
I thought about it but since I plug in USB cable to use Android Auto decided it was not really necessary. I might look at installing one in the back for the 3rd row so whichever kid is sitting back there can charge their phone.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
CB037045-2D10-4FCF-9719-87BD7605C2A0.jpeg
I did a wireless charging cradle so I can still see the phone.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
eBay or Amazon one of the two.
It has a vent clip on the back. I drilled a hole in a 2”x2” block, just smaller than the vent clip diameter, filled it with gorilla glue, stuck the clip in hole and let it dry. The 2x2 is just wedged in the cubby and stays put nicely.
Bought a 2 port USB adapter for the power port to plug in the wireless charger and still have an opening for a cable for the wife’s phone.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to be integrating wireless charging in the area in front of the cup holders in the coming weeks. I'll install a female 12v socket hidden under the console to provide power to whatever supply/coils I can best fit in the area. Wireless charging w wireless android auto is the goal to keep the front end tangle free. I'll post a how to for anyone who wants to do the same.

Mine will be an 03 but the location is virtually the same as what the OP is suggesting. How thick is the rubber pad and the plastic underneath on the newer models?

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wireless chargers are a great idea. Please keep us posted for iPhone and Android users.

Thanks!

TheFordFortress

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like the idea, but my only concern would be heat generated not only by the charging unit, but by sun pounding down on the dashboard.

Any electronic device chargers slower when it’s hot if you’re going to leave your phone sitting up there exposed to sun while also getting heat from the backside of it on the charging pad you might be asking for trouble not only for the phone but for the truck.

I know that there is heat generated between the charging pad on the phone because there are times and I will pick up mine and feel the warmth where it was against the charging pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good points however I won't be charging w the truck parked and off, climate control will be in use 99% of the time unless its cool enough without and it will not be on the upper dash. The coils will be under the little plastic cubby with the rubber mat on there as well and have a good 15mm between them and the device to disperse heat. The charging pad that I'm cannibalizing has active cooling, a slot type fan similar to what you'd find in a mac mini or small laptop which should keep the temps pretty close to ambient under the console. The device will warm at times a bit which is normal with charging. It's worse when using wireless because of the efficiency of indiction chargers but not being right on it, based on tests I've done on my desk should keep it no more warm than a USB charge would. I will of course keep an eye on it. Being android in my case, there are plenty of system apps to see battery and CPU temps. Being android auto and the HU I'm installing also supporting miracast I'll pretty much always have my phone display off which keeps the heat down during use/charging considerably.

I work in the wireless industry and I'm quite familiar with all of the tech and its limitations. I used to work as a rep for Samsung so I'm aware of how bad a situation involving an overheated battery or device can get. Those Note 7s... lol.

It would be wise if anyone does this to probably not wire it to a constant 12v as a safeguard to keep it from charging in case it was left in a closed vehicle in full sun and also not drain your battery if forgotten for awhile, as unlikely as that is being a phone it could still happen. The vehicle ambient temp would be on the high range to cause most phones to shut down due to overheating even if not charging. This is why I'm tapping into that power port circuit as itll be a low current draw and not interfere with the obd circuit and it'll shut off w the ignition.

The remote start I'm installing supports the ability to auto start in low/hi temp thresholds so I can always program that into the safe range of what the battery is designed for if I wanted a fail safe. It wouldn't be the most efficient thing fuel use wise but better than a burnt phone/car. If it started up I'd be notified pretty quickly via an LTE module in the dash and know to go out and retrieve my phone. I have the house setup with a lot of smart home gear and it would see device not inside the house w geolocation data and tbay coupled with other triggers that should happen once I come inside I can set a notification that would alert on my watch or hue lighting. It's a bit excessive but doable.

Last edited: