Won’t shift to tow mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed Fogle

Reaction score
i have a 2017 Expedition 4x4 that I tow behind my motorhome. I’ve been on an extended trip with no problems with the car until last week. I transferred the system from drive to tow mode successfully 4 or 5 times before my last leg. On that one, however it would not shift to tow. While making the switch and rotating the drive knob from 2H to 4L the required 5 times in 7 seconds the dash message said “4x4 Shift in Progress”. After about the 4th rotation that message went away but I never got the “Neutral Tow Enabled Leave Transmission In Neutral”.

I went through this process several times, each time going through the “Exiting Four-Wheel-Down Towing” process. Each tame, after using the instructions for entering four wheel down towing I started the engine and verified the car still had the drive train engaged. Ultimately my wife drove the car to the stop where we are now. We will drive to the next destination where I have an appointment at the Ford dealership shop.

Any thoughts, advise on my situation?

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I'm only looking at the manual but the sequence is 2H to 4L and back to 2H again 5 times within (meaning less than) 7 seconds leading me to believe you need to end up in 2H, not 4L. Staying too long in 4L may trigger the "4x4 shift" message.

No "4x4 shift" message during this shown in the manual. I'm guessing that's 'cuz you shouldn't be in 4x4 other than a microsecond before back in 2H. Nothing about stopping in 4L, just cycling thru it. I don't think there'd be time to note anything on the dash during those 7 (or less) seconds. Shouldn't take more than 2 seconds when I simulated this. I'm fixing to tow my trailer in the morning and don't want to jinx the truck by actually doing this as she'll roll away unless I block the wheels. ;)

Be interested how this works out for you. I'm just reading the manual. :)

-- Chuck

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
were you able to try it again at the next location?
if it still is quirky you may need to go see a ford dealer.
but i would try the slow and steady 5 times to touch each location 2h to 4l and not stop in between. ours shifts quirky if truck sits for days,
what was the state of charge on the battery would also be a thing to look at. do you have a 12v battery charge line set up while your towing it four down?

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What years have sport mode? My 2017 has 6 speed tranny 3.5L turbo. But I haven't seen the sport mode option? Only purchased like 6 weeks ago, and primarily the wife's new ride. I know my uncle has a 2017 F150 with a 10 speed tranny 3.5L turbo, and it has sport mode.

Sry I think I added this in wrong thred.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

Ed Fogle

Reaction score
It was suggested I disconnect battery for a little while and reconnect to try to reset the system. Did that for an hour but problem remains.

I did end up back on 2H after rotating selector 5 times. The salesman who showed how to do the process switched 2H to 4L and back very rapidly and it worked. I have tried both fast and slow several times.

Scheduled into Ford service at our next destination.

OP
OP
E

Ed Fogle

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help from everyone. Finally got it to work. You have to work through the nuances in the instructions. I had never thought of this but assumed I took my foot off the brake pedal when switching 2H to 4L five times quickly. Well, just before I took it to the shop it struck me that I should try it with the brake pedal depressed, as a last resort. Voila’. That was it. This is not specific in the instructions but when you read between the lines it kind of was there.