Would you trade for PSD Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most may know that Ford will introduce (and be the first to the marketplace) a light duty diesel for the F150 in 2006.

It only makes sense that it would be available in the Expedition probably a year later.

Even with the new 300hp (supposedly) 3V making its way into the Expy soon, would you hold out or trade up if you knew you could get an oil burner in it instead?

Let's say it would be a V6 and make 230HP & 440lb. ft. :cheers:

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ONLY reason to go to the Diesel would be for towing and they last along time, IF you take care of them properly. Other than that, given how Diesel prices have crept up, the availability of diesel fuel, and your fuel mileage would not be an advantage, it would not be an option. Plus they smell, are loud, and vibrate the passenger compartment.

Wapiti

Reaction score
I would trade in a heart beat. But I tow.

Diesel prices have crept up, but out here, in line with gas.
I'm not sure about VA but out here in CO there is no problem with availabilty.
One would get much better fuel mileage, but it'll take a lot of miles to offset the probably 3 to 4k higher price for a diesel.

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, diesel prices have gone up, but so has gas prices and diesel is still cheaper than gas (at least, out here in California).

As for vibration, it's not that bad and with the larger weight and size of the Expedition, I doubt riders will notice it at speed or with the stereo going anyway.

Lowandslow

Reaction score
Well i think i would trade up to the Diesel. I wanted it when i got the expo and i seriously considered the excursion because of the diesel option. Nothing beats the smell of a diesel. The last diesel i owned was a 1985 300SD mercedes and it was a tank.

OP
OP
M

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by bnvus
vibrate the passenger compartment.

I'm not talking about bulldozers! :p

Never had any of my diesels vibrate the passenger compartment. They were all V8s 'cept for the Cummins and all perfectly balanced.

New diesel technology is making the quieter than ever!

The smell...well it's an aquired "taste". I love the smell of diesel exhaust from a turbocharged engine! Brings back many fond memories.

I can see it happening soon! With ever tightening CAFE regulations, the diesel engine WILL see its way into more and more SUVs. :D

I, for one, can't wait!

danketchpel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As I've mentioned before here, a diesel engine was one of the options I was looking for in my next "truck". Couldn't get one in something less than a 3/4 ton chassis. Definitely for the next one!!!

Diesels have come a long way, just look at what you can get in Europe. All the major luxury cars (and most other cars) come with good, powerful, efficient, and refined diesel engine options.

The numbers you mentioned are pretty much what I think they should be also. I'd be looking for a minimum of 20 mpg towing and hopefully 25+ mpg empty. Should be very doable.

This is pretty much inline with the development program Ford had going with International, too bad they canceled it. It was supposed to have been ready for sale in 2002-2003, too bad. I think Ford got spooked by something, maybe the changing diesel fuel standards or ????

I agree, modern diesel engines are coming to America just as soon as our diesel fuel standards and buyer awareness levels catch up with the rest of the world

For the mean time we just wait.......