Wrapping taillight fail...advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SWTB0BCAT

Reaction score
This weekend I tried to wrap my taillights on my 2020 XLT. I thought I had the patience to do this, but failed miserably. I was using a light smoke vinyl that was 16" wide. The taillights are a little less than 16" tall, and I think that is where my problem was. There wasn't any room vertically to stretch.

Any advice from someone who has done their own taillights would be appreciated. I have all the right tools for the install, just looking for guidance. Already looking at ordering a wider vinyl.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PN4K1R9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This weekend I tried to wrap my taillights on my 2020 XLT. I thought I had the patience to do this, but failed miserably. I was using a light smoke vinyl that was 16" wide. The taillights are a little less than 16" tall, and I think that is where my problem was. There wasn't any room vertically to stretch.

Any advice from someone who has done their own taillights would be appreciated. I have all the right tools for the install, just looking for guidance. Already looking at ordering a wider vinyl.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PN4K1R9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If this is anything like applying motocross bike graphics (which are also thick vinyl) I would suggest warming with a hair dryer and also apply it wet. Spray with a mix of isopropyl alcohol and water if memory serves, and then squeegee it out. Windex may also work. I think window film is applied the same way - wet. The moisture is a little more forgiving and the heat makes it more pliable so it will wrap easier.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Coming from someone who many years ago used to work at a custom shop doing window tint and clear bra work among other things, I too had issues on this thing. I tried to do clear bra on the headlights. After spending good money on good 3M film, precut to match the lights, I gave up on the first one. The taillights aren't as bad as the headlights, but the shape of these things makes it very difficult. Definitely use a mix of alcohol and water, and keep it wet, you have to stretch it some, but most films now use pressure sensitive adhesive, so if you push too hard, it will stick hard. If it does, make sure you use more alcohol and water to try and reapply, but be careful pulling it off, it can leave lines in the film.

I always start off with very soft rubbery squeegees, and progressively get more firm, and you do have to use heat ahead of time, and during to help shrink certain spots. It's tough, take your time. For me, after spending the money on the precut pieces, I realized I was only going to save myself around $75, so I just went to my local shop and the pro was done in about 1.5 hrs. He actually told me these are some of the worst headlights, he said some of the toyota's are just as bad if not worse with all the little pop out parts.

OP
OP
SWTB0BCAT

SWTB0BCAT

Reaction score
This stuff is meant for a dry application and is more of vinyl than "tint".

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Feel like that means it's even going to be harder. Liquids make it easier to move, stretch, and pull back up if you have to.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was going to say, you don't need any kind of liquid between the lens and the film. But it looks like what you linked to requires it to be 'wet'. The Vivid dry film is what i used on another vehicle. It does sound like you also have a piece which is barely enough to cover the light, which you already noted.

It does take practice to get it right.

Doren Martin

Reaction score
I have used the vinyl and tint. On headlights and tail lights be sure that you are working in a warm 70 Deg. climate at least.
Make sure to give yourself at least a couple inches extra size all the way around the piece you are covering/wrapping.
I use a heat gun and regulate how much heat as needed, especially in compound curves. I like to let the material kind of belly into the dips- apply a little warmth from the gun and carefully press the wrap down into it till it sticks and then use a credit card or something and rub it out.
It most definitely takes patience. Practice a bit on something.
Another method us Hydro dip. But if you do this it is very important that you tape your piece off so as to waterproof so u dont get water inside your piece.
On headlights and tail lights I wet d and with 1500 (for primer to bite). Then I spray a clearcoat primer (I.e..: One Hit Wonder Paint on. the lenses. Now I dip the piece in the hydro dip following the instructions to the letter (see utube). Clear coat again. Maybe twice doing quick light coats. This has worked out for me better than wrapping. More work- but better results.

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get the whole stealth look that a lot of people want but you also make you tail/brake lights dimmer and that's not a good thing.
As far as the product, the description says wrap but it's probably not stretchy like the 3m wrap material.
Maybe you could use individual piece to make it easier to cover each surface of the light housing.