LEDs for High Beam/Low Beam/Fog Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
1000RR

1000RR

Reaction score
Seems like there's plenty of misinformation floating around - just to be clear... the links provided are simply what I am sharing that I've already replaced my halogens with. They work flawlessly, no interference, no flickering, no nothing but nice bright white light. They are WAY brighter than the OEM Halogens. The high beam and low beams come with the external driver for no radio interference, they are Canbus-ready. I do quite a bit of research before purchasing things, read the reviews and compare to others - these get great reviews... highly recommend :waytogo:

John I

Reaction score
1000RR, thanks for sharing your experience. This halogen - LED bulb switch is confusing to an old-timer like myself who hasn't bothered to modify a car in decades. That said, the stock headlights on my XLT Max are horrendous on dark stretches of interstate highway, so I need to do something. Are you confident that the LEDs (low beam) are not affecting oncoming drivers?

Jeff R

Reaction score
John I - greetings!

I just did the swap from halogens to LED headlights in my '20 XLT. I've only driven a couple of times at night since then, but I don't believe there was a problem with blinding oncoming drivers. If the bulb is properly oriented in the socket (and reflector), the beam has a sharp horizontal cutoff below the sight level of opposing traffic.

OP
OP
1000RR

1000RR

Reaction score
1000RR, thanks for sharing your experience. This halogen - LED bulb switch is confusing to an old-timer like myself who hasn't bothered to modify a car in decades. That said, the stock headlights on my XLT Max are horrendous on dark stretches of interstate highway, so I need to do something. Are you confident that the LEDs (low beam) are not affecting oncoming drivers?
Along with Jeff, I have not seen an issue. The low beams are projection style headlights not the reflector (old school like me, I too am a bit older than the average here I suspect) type. So the projector type play nicer with LEDs to begin with in directing the light path. As Jeff mentioned, the LED design also helps to some degree, but ultimately the projector assembly takes care of it.

Not that you won't have the onsie twosie that just want to flash their brights at you... I've had that on occasion in many cars with projectors or HIDs.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good quality LEDs are much, much better than the stock bulbs. If you drive in the city, or suburban areas, you may not see such a big difference. Rural areas with little to no lighting, except the moon and stars, you will see a great improvement.

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These are the ones I ordered originally (under the belief I should just look for "9140"). Note they have "9140" in the description. They had to be returned because the base fitment is "H10" instead of H8/H9/H11. The links I provided above will get you want you need - promise ;)

WRONG ONES --> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TRVH9ND/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So from what I found using his expy info his is a 9140/9005/hb3. I haven't looked up the newer ones yet. For any and all bulb referencing I do I use sylvanias guide.

OP
OP
1000RR

1000RR

Reaction score
So from what I found using his expy info his is a 9140/9005/hb3. I haven't looked up the newer ones yet. For any and all bulb referencing I do I use sylvanias guide.
Anthony, please don't make this harder than it is and confuse the matter... the "9140" does NOT indicate one of the most important parts of ensuring proper fitment when it comes to LEDs. Besides the "9140", you NEED the base style. There are 9140 H10 bulbs, there are 9140 H11 bulbs, etc. Both of these will NOT fit the other, two different base styles. If you simply choose a replacement foglight based on "9140" you may in fact end up with the wrong bulb base (H10 vs H11, etc.). "9140" relates to the output (wattage) of a Halogen bulb (they are lower wattage, which makes sense given they're a Fog).

The intent of this thread is to provide EXACTLY what I purchased and what DOES work, nothing more nothing less. If someone duplicates what I purchased in the links of Post #1, they are set.

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to put the 07-14 expy headlights (single beam h13) on the 15-17 expys (split beam 9005 high & h11 low)? If not do you think it can be done? I would like to transfer my existing h13 leds over which work really well but my expy headlights are the split beam low & high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anthony, please don't make this harder than it is and confuse the matter... the "9140" does NOT indicate one of the most important parts of ensuring proper fitment when it comes to LEDs. Besides the "9140", you NEED the base style. There are 9140 H10 bulbs, there are 9140 H11 bulbs, etc. Both of these will NOT fit the other, two different base styles. If you simply choose a replacement foglight based on "9140" you may in fact end up with the wrong bulb base (H10 vs H11, etc.). "9140" relates to the output (wattage) of a Halogen bulb (they are lower wattage, which makes sense given they're a Fog).

The intent of this thread is to provide EXACTLY what I purchased and what DOES work, nothing more nothing less. If someone duplicates what I purchased in the links of Post #1, they are set.

Can you provide a link for 9140 H11’s? Ive never heard of such a thing before. 9140’s are the same base as a HB3 or 9005 not h11 - h11 is about half the size base as that of an hb3/9005920e8bdb03335595ece8467e1692cd32.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk