Wrench light, driving slow hesitate then surge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Suma

Reaction score
2008 Exp EL in S FL 374,000 miles has lasted so long but just had this happen when riving slow to take dogs to the park. Manual says major traney issue and limp home mode. Is transmission shot?

Mikezr

Reaction score
Doubt it I'd have the codes read if any but I'd start looking at throttle body first

xFred12

Reaction score
Did you find the solution? my 2013 expy 5.4 comes up with wrench light in morning on my way to work. Turn off and back on and it goes away. Does not happen in the afternoon

gkretro

Reaction score
That sounds like the throttle body, happened to me, but I have 3.5L engine, so who knows.

xFred12

Reaction score
That sounds like the throttle body, happened to me, but I have 3.5L engine, so who knows.
Thanks for the response. I have a throttle body on the way it should be arriving today. The wrench light has been worse now this week. It stays on even after turning off & restarting the truck. I will swap it and update here with results.

xFred12

Reaction score
Well guys, I swapped out the throttle body with a new one from Rock auto. Also disconnected the battery, and did the Throttle body relearn as Recommended by Ford Techmakuloco , and I unfortunately still have the wrench light. Any other input as to what it may be?

What also just started is there’s a continuous clicking coming from the gas tank , with the key turned forward but not on. Could this be the fuel pump on the way out and the cause of the light?

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well guys, I swapped out the throttle body with a new one from Rock auto. Also disconnected the battery, and did the Throttle body relearn as Recommended by Ford Techmakuloco , and I unfortunately still have the wrench light. Any other input as to what it may be?

What also just started is there’s a continuous clicking coming from the gas tank , with the key turned forward but not on. Could this be the fuel pump on the way out and the cause of the light?
Bummer!

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2008 Exp EL in S FL 374,000 miles has lasted so long but just had this happen when riving slow to take dogs to the park. Manual says major traney issue and limp home mode. Is transmission shot?
Very limited info for any diagnosis , no sure why throttle body would be suggested. Thread is almost three months old and OP has not returned to update or give more info.