Wrench light..no codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YMRacing

Reaction score
2017 3.5 2wd 30,000 miles owned since new.

Wrench light comes on, goes into limp mode. Called Ford. Told to shut it off, start it again and take it to the closest dealer.

They found nothing. Happened again 30 miles later. Did same, but different dealer. They found nothing.

Drive 250 miles and... didn't skip a beat.

I've got my OBD Reader hooked up anytime I'm in the vehicle now.

Any thoughts?

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it hasn't returned in the last 250 miles then it may have just been a transient bad reading from a sensor. If it comes back, try disconnecting the battery overnight and see if the CEL returns after reconnecting and getting through a few driving cycles. If the CEL still returns it will likely eventually give up a code.

Robert McMillan

17plati
Reaction score

Wrench light comes on, goes into limp mode. Called Ford. Told to shut it off, start it again and take it to the closest dealer.

They found nothing. Happened again 30 miles later. Did same, but different dealer. They found nothing.

Any thoughts?

TSB for throttle body stuck open or closed. Same thing happened to mine 2 years ago they are just being lazy

Robert McMillan

17plati
Reaction score

Any thoughts?
It’ll keep popping until it’s bad enough where it will register a DTC that they can only pull with their scanners at dealership. I witnessed this first hand

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The wrench light is a major powertrain fault. The Ford V10 work trucks I drove, usually were throttle body issues(@200K mi). It could also be a transmission issue. The throttle position sensor, helps tell the transmission when to shift. Have you notice your idle is off? It needs to be checked out.

Robert McMillan

17plati
Reaction score
The wrench light is a major powertrain fault. The Ford V10 work trucks I drove, usually were throttle body issues(@200K mi). It could also be a transmission issue. The throttle position sensor, helps tell the transmission when to shift. Have you notice your idle is off? It needs to be checked out.
Not technically “major” as it can go away after you cycle truck off and back on. Mine ended up being throttle body issue. Replaced same day

91fox

Reaction score
I have a friend with a f150 Ecoboost, who had something similar happen to his truck. He would be able to drive it for miles on end without issue, however, when he really womped on it with the engine cold it seemed to go into limp mode... I hooked up the scanner and told him to floor it, service light came on and ding ding ding.. it was a bad coil, if I remember right it was #6. Not sure if this helps you, but if you have access to a scanner hook it up and have someone really get on it while you watch the scanner, see what it says.

Robert McMillan

17plati
Reaction score
I have a friend with a f150 Ecoboost, who had something similar happen to his truck. He would be able to drive it for miles on end without issue, however, when he really womped on it with the engine cold it seemed to go into limp mode... I hooked up the scanner and told him to floor it, service light came on and ding ding ding.. it was a bad coil, if I remember right it was #6. Not sure if this helps you, but if you have access to a scanner hook it up and have someone really get on it while you watch the scanner, see what it says.
Your friend is a f—-ing moron for “womping on it with the engine cold” and so are you if you did this. You probably blew that coil out doing that and still have another underlying issue. You’re an idiot