Yes to eLSD or No to eLSD on our next Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At least you know about the eLSD being changed to a stand-alone option instead of being included in the HD towing pkg. Our 2019 has the HD towing package with eLSD, but it came that way. My primary interest in the HD tow pkg. was the 3.73 axle ratio and having a little more get-up-and-go. Now if I still owned a boat and were buying again, i would probably have valued eLSD enough to pay extra. 4X4 and the various drive modes will easily get people into and out of most "reasonable" driving situations, and having eLSD won't be an antidote for bad choices.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where are the stats to prove that? The Eaton eSLD has been in production since 2005 when Jeep started using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a month ago there was 3 ACTIVE posts of guys "just on this forum" that all puked their rear ends from the E locker failure. Not sure what other data you need....

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
a month ago there was 3 ACTIVE posts of guys "just on this forum" that all puked their rear ends from the E locker failure. Not sure what other data you need....

Yes, but there are numerous posts about cam phasers, sun roofs, and transmission failures.

My point is to get what fits your needs and hope for the best. Also enjoy the boost!

That said, I only needed the rear locker twice in the past two years.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, but there are numerous posts about cam phasers, sun roofs, and transmission failures.

My point is to get what fits your needs and hope for the best. Also enjoy the boost!

That said, I only needed the rear locker twice in the past two years.

I think the lack of usage is what possibly caused mines failure. I rarely need the locker as I run my 3/4 ton on anything work related, so my Expedition becomes a pavement princess and the E locker seized up from lack of use "maybe", but its only a guess.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Out of 100K + diffs. Not prone to failure.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jumping on the train of HD Tow and locker if you think you might want or need it.

The 2020 Special Edition and Stealth Edition include this combo, just look for the black wheels if shopping online.

As for the “reliability” issue of it, just spend $2500ish on a 125k mile bumper to bumper warranty through one of the recommended dealers that sell these like they’re going out of style. Best investment you can make if you’re holding it for 8 years. It will pay for itself 10 fold.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Out of 100K + diffs. Not prone to failure.

My dealer said Ford already had a service note on this, so its clearly been done before in his opinion. I have no way to know how many failures, but 3 in a week seems like enough to make me think it could fail again on mine.