Retrofit a power inverter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spotdog14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone retrofitted a power inverter into their Expedition? I'm looking at two possible places to wire one. Either in the rear cargo area where the current cigarette lighter is or possibly in the center console in the rear where there is the cut out for where the rear seat radio goes (since I have the DVD it is just a cubby hole).

What are your thoughts, would it be a bad idea to mount it under the trim panels in the back with some type of flush mount plug or would it get too hot?

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't, but have considered it a few times.
When I mounted my winch cabling, went through similar thoughts of where to put that rascal as well.

I think you identified cooling as important, as well as running the appropriate gauge cables back to your power source. What model are you looking to install, and what are you intending to use it for?

PanHandler.

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depending on the size of the inverter, there is plenty of room in the center console. Just make sure there is room for the inverter to "breathe".

I have an inverter that I just plug into one of my 12 volt outlets when I need to power stuff. It's a 500 watt unit. I keep it tucked under the middle seat when I'm not using it.