Tow Hooks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mitch94

Reaction score
Hi, I have been reading this forum for the last year since I got an 06 Expy 4x4I have installed a grille guard but had to remove my tow hooks. Does anyone know of any king of replacement hooks that I could mount where the old ones came off or bolt to the side of the guard. Thanks

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
there wasnt a grill guard that was ale to use with the hooks? i think its just a different mounting bracket. you could always drill into the side of the guard and put the hooks in there.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
If you have a Harbor Freight store near you, they usually have nice stainless tow hooks in stock. They were such a good deal, I picked up a set last year, just in case.

OP
OP
mitch94

mitch94

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I found a new in box Smittybuilt 1 piece welded grille guard on E-bay for $150 +$100 shipping. Awesome price but I had to remove the tow hooks. I did dome grinding on one side of the tow hook (they are heavy duty) but I still couldnt get them to bolt back on. I was looking to see if I could bolt them onto the grill guard but they just wouldnt look right they way they are built. I may end up at harbor freight and buy a couple (good price) and see if I can even drill thru the guard. That is some thick steel. Mitch

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you should still be able to drill threw the side of it. then ad some hooks to it that way. i recommend the hooks that master lock makes. the kind with a closed end. http://www.google.com/products/cata...esult&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CIwBEPMCMAU4Hg#
not just them. but a style like that if you going to put them on the side of the guard. if your putting them on the front then get basic hooks. but your strongest point is closest to the frame.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i was able to fit my brush guard, hidden winch mount, and tow hooks all together on the frame. it was a little tight but you should be able to make it fit.

OP
OP
mitch94

mitch94

Reaction score
The original hooks hang over the side of the frame at least 1 inch on each side. When I installed to grille guard bracket onto the frame it was flush to where the tow hooks install. I thought I could just grind maybe a 1/4 inch off of the inside of the hook. I did that and climbed under to try to re install it i could see I would need to grind at least an inch or more. My only options are to fab some kind of a bracket to bolt into the original bolt holes that would allow me to move it over an inch or just buy a couple of new hooks and drill holes into the guard and bolt them on there. That sounds like the best and safest method. I have a drill but I dont have anything to fab up a new mounting plate for option 1. Thanks

Mike_D1980

Reaction score
If you have a Harbor Freight store near you, they usually have nice stainless tow hooks in stock. They were such a good deal, I picked up a set last year, just in case.
I went to Harbor Freight today and couldn't find them :(
did notice that starting friday they have a scan tool on sale for $49.99 and an extra 20% off with a coupon in the ad. Might go back for it!

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you should still be able to drill threw the side of it. then ad some hooks to it that way. i recommend the hooks that master lock makes. the kind with a closed end. http://www.google.com/products/cata...esult&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CIwBEPMCMAU4Hg#
not just them. but a style like that if you going to put them on the side of the guard. if your putting them on the front then get basic hooks. but your strongest point is closest to the frame.

So does the linked hook work in the factory tow hook holes? I've been meaning to get tow hooks, but shipping always adds a bit where as in this case I can get it shipped free (Prime). Plus, it's only 8 bucks, and comes with mounting hardware.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
o idk. i just know my uncle has these on his jeep and if you put them in the factory holes... if they do fit then its better because it wont fall off. that added cover at the hook helps keep the rope or strap from falling out when theres slack.