Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
03NavigatorGuy

03NavigatorGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is next on the list?
The DLC has kept its communication with my scanner the entire time I have been trying to see what the problem has been with the intermittent no communication issue! Can you help walk me through trying to sort out why the Instrument cluster has no power, thought the airbag light is illuminated. Thx

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Need to clarify what you mean by the instrument cluster not having power as in none of the gauges work or none of the lights work etc.
The PATS system marries the cluster to the pcm so since it is starting now that would indicate the cluster is getting power at some point.

The dlc is only a connection point to the pcm - it doesn't communicate with anything. So you are able to scan for codes now? Unless you have a very high end or Ford's scanner you won't be able to communicate with the cluster.

OP
OP
03NavigatorGuy

03NavigatorGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, I had a home repair emergency, thanks for your patience.

I hopefully can explain what the cluster is/isn't doing well, so here goes! The cluster is dark, not lit in anyway, you can't see the gauges to know if they are operating. When you shine a bright light, when the vehicle is running, neither the tach, or temp gauge function, the odometer is not illuminated, nor is the driver information center located on the right side of the cluster. What will illuminate inside the cluster area is the airbag light, that is staying constant. The turn signal/flasher indicators light up, as well as the high beam indicator. At one time when you first has me run a wire from CJB to ignition to get it to start, I did notice the door ajar and shift indicator were illuminated, at this time they are not for whatever reason.

OP
OP
03NavigatorGuy

03NavigatorGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is what I have, plus I found some pinpoint tests that I hadn't seen before!

Attachments

• InstClsWrngOverview.pdf
    71.2 KB · Views: 2
  • NaviInsClsWiring2.pdf
    66.1 KB · Views: 1
  • NaviInstClsWrng3.pdf
    71.8 KB · Views: 1
  • NaviInsClsWiring4.pdf
    73.2 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
03NavigatorGuy

03NavigatorGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are the PinPoint Test!

Fuse #1 - power with Key ON only (not sure if it should be on at all times)
Fuse #21 - power at all times
Fuse #15 - power at all times

ClusterSympton1.gif

ClusterSympton2.gif

ClusterSympton3.gif

ClusterSympton4.gif

OP
OP
03NavigatorGuy

03NavigatorGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PinPoint Test's: A and AD

Attachments

• InstPinPointA.pdf
    49.8 KB · Views: 2
  • InstPinPointA1.pdf
    107.2 KB · Views: 1
  • InstPinPointAD1.pdf
    52.8 KB · Views: 1
  • InstPinPointAD.pdf
    122.8 KB · Views: 1

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll look at the diagrams after I feed my 4 legged family. Is the cluster the old style gauge or digital?

OP
OP
03NavigatorGuy

03NavigatorGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking ahead, I guess I need to know how to test resistance between the two cluster connectors.

The cluster appears to be the old style.
03NaviCluster.jpeg

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We'll work on getting the cluster lights on first then work on the gauges not functioning. Even though these look "old style" they use stepper motors and/or groups mag coils for different gauges.

When you first turn the ignition on to run the cluster will perform an initialization and sweep the needles. All the warning lights will come at this time also.

That would be the first item to check, next would be to make sure the dimmer switch isn't turned to off.

We will also need the diagrams "Illumination". That is cell 71-***

Last edited: