Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03NavigatorGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently purchased a nice ’04 Navi with the above issues, from the owner who said he was tired of chasing issues and not having any success. It is very clean and rust free, and I’d love to see if I can, with some help from y’all here, figure things out, and where to start, as many things have been done, seemingly without confirming what was/is/are the real and continued issue(s).

History: Owner stated the first thing that happened was the instrument cluster went blank, then he stated he was having issues with it intermittently not starting, so he replaced the starter, the problem continued. he put new connectors on the battery side as he said the original were corroded, but problem contend. He then took it to a mechanic, who advised him it was “probably” the Central1Junction-Box. He had them instal a working “used” box, Navi seemed to start ok. Shortly there after the radiator started to leak so a new radiator was installed. The owner tell me that after the instal, the Navi would not crank. His mechanic advised him it was probably the ignition, so the ignition was replaced, and STILL no start, so he had it towed back home were it sat for a year till now. I noticed that it has had a new alternator, but not sure if the previous owner had that done to help resolve any of the above mentioned issues or simply because it failed.

Current Issues:

No Crank No Start - key in start position causes click in trailer-tow relay.

No communication to PCM from OBD2.

No power to fuel pump unless relay bypassed.

Gear selector won’t release when key on/brake pressed.

Instrument cluster will not illuminate.

Turn signals not working - flashers DO work.

HVAC panel has no power.

Items that DO work:

Power windows, door locks, seat, moonroof, Navigation/Stereo system, wipers, interior and exterior lights.

Security system light flashes at what appears to be a normal rate, definitely not fast.

What I have investigated/done:

Starter will crank engine when it is jumped.

Fuel pump will activate when relay is bypassed/ but no start issue still present.

Connections to PCM are tight.

Check all fuses to be good/replaced PCM power relay with new relay as a precaution.

Confirmed fuse 41 was not blown.

"Click" comes from Trailer-tow relay in CJB when key is turned to the start position.

Thanks in advance, for any helpful troubleshooting advice!

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you get the part number off the sticker on the fuse box ? Google that part number, and if it's not for an '04 Navigator, that could very well be the root of your problems. You've got too much stuff not getting power to even guess otherwise. The part number should be on a sticker on either top or bottom of the fuse box. You can read it with a flashlight and mirror, or use your phone to take a picture of it.

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/oem-...Model=Navigator&Year=2004&Submodel=&Filter=()

Last edited:
OP
OP
03NavigatorGuy

03NavigatorGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will take a look at see what it is!

The one that it had when I purchased it was part# 4L1T-14A067-AC. Not knowing if the CJB was still good, I replaced it with one that I had purchased for my other 03 Navi., and the one that is presently installed, but no discernible difference, if any, in equipment working and/or not working. It's part # is
2L1T14A067-AP. Not sure why the different part #'s but the both show to be for 2003-2006 Navigators.

IMG_0269.jpeg

IMG_0266.jpeg

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are they both that old ? And they were both used when you bought them ? Take a look at the PCM relay in the upper right corner and inspect it for any melted plastic, on the relay, and on the socket it fits into.

OP
OP
03NavigatorGuy

03NavigatorGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know the history of 4L1T-14A067-AC, which the previous owner told me his mechanic tested as "good" and installed it. I know that I purchased mine 2L1T-14A067-AP, a couple of years ago, as a rebuilt/refurbished, and its been sitting on a shelf since. The original looks okay, doesn't look burnt or melted.

2L1T14A067-AP Socket.jpg

4L1T-14A067-AC-Socket.jpg

OP
OP
03NavigatorGuy

03NavigatorGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I have checked fuses: #28, #32, #33 & # 34 and they DO NOT have power with Key on OR off.

Fuses #101 and #102 DO have power to them.

Also, I did check and I do have power on pin #16 at the DLC with the scan tool.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I have checked fuses: #28, #32, #33 & # 34 and they DO NOT have power with Key on OR off.

Fuses #101 and #102 DO have power to them.

Also, I did check and I do have power on pin #16 at the DLC with the scan tool.

I had a similar prob with a Trailblazer also 98+ town cars are bad to corrode or melt the large maxi fuse connections in down in the box under the hood and not start and/or crank.

I would start with WD-40-ing the heck out of every fuse hole terminal and push fuse in 2-3 times.
It can be other fuse that feeds one of those.

Of course looking at a diagram would tell you the path to those fuses and might speed things up.

Then wiggle test with the wires while checking those fuses for power to see if you can find a flaky connection.

LOTS of problems with 2nf gen fuse box and GEM ( I think that's the name) from water leaking from sunroof tube or door/windshield and running right down the top of it.