04 with 260k miles...........how far should i push my luck ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeD

Reaction score
I bought an 02 SuperCrew FX4 5.4 from an in-law with 130k on it, it towed a camper and a boat. All the routine maintenance was done except for the transmission. Yes it raised some concerns for me, I looked at the fluid ( the white paper towel method) and it was acceptable. I had a B&G flush performed (cleaner and flush) after having confidence in the truck overall. I put almost 70k on it, occasional towing, since then and the trans was still solid as well as the engine. Other issue have parked it, rust, exhaust etc.

Heat kills an automatic transmission, keep that in mind.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You know I know doing a filter/ trans oil change is a pain in the ass, but that said once you do the initial change, and either change the pan completely or just drill, and install a piggy back drain plug, their self tapping by the way. You can easily drain and refill your trans fluid, up to 5-6 quarts, and leave the filter and small bit of sediment in there. It's way better than leaving fluid, and all the crud in there for 100,000 miles. You guys act like tranny fluid is Kryptonite! We had one forum member that did just that, fluid only every 25,000 or so. When he pulled his filter at over 100,000 miles, it was not clogged. So get in there and change that fluid every 25,000 to 80,000 depending on trans, 6 speed vs 4, and full synthetic vs regular. Unless your rich, and have a spare 3-5 grand, don't be lazy. Buy a big cement mixing pan at Home Depot, and a big wide funnel to transfer it to your Prestone jugs, or I like old big vegetable oil plastic jugs to transfer it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ya'll got me thinking about the transmission now. I have a 2014 with 52k and haven't done anything to the transmission. I don't see anything in the maintenance schedule about it. When does the fluid need to be changed?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well if you talk to Ford, all they want to do is flush out the fluid at 130,000 miles. Apparently with synthetic fluid, they stretch it that far. Other forum members are doing the service themselves with filter change at about 75-90 thousand. Their are articles here, and online on procedure.

lane87

Reaction score
Would the same advice apply to my '03 Expy 5.4 with 200K miles? I too have never touched the tranny fluid.

jaybee127

Reaction score
My father-in-law has a 04 exp 5.4 with 263,000 miles on it. Puts a little over a hundred miles a day on it. He has only changed the oil in once in the last 2 years and not many more times before that. Uses about a quart of oil every 2000 miles. He puts whatever oil he has around the house in it 20w-50, 5w30, 15w40 diesel oil....hell there's no telling what the mix is it has in it. Still runs like a champ. Original engine ant trans. If i did my vehicle like that it wouldn't last 30 days.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh yeah, why have you never changed it? Depending on if your running standard mercon or semi synthetic, it's every 30-50 k. Sooner if you tow, or do anything severe. Most shops only charge $100.00 plus fluid, not worth burning up a $3,000 trans. That's just bad math.

JoeD

Reaction score
Ya'll got me thinking about the transmission now. I have a 2014 with 52k and haven't done anything to the transmission. I don't see anything in the maintenance schedule about it. When does the fluid need to be changed?
Not being familiar with the 14 model year, is there a dipstick? if so check it.
Right now at those miles, you should expect some darkening of the fluid but should be red. If its not somethings going on.

JoeD

Reaction score
Yes dropping the pan is a pain and a mess, but it gives you an idea whats is going on in there. You can have a look at the filter and the pan - there is most likely a magnet or 2 that is going to be covered in a greyish slime.

I like to use brake/parts cleaner, unless I have access to a parts washer, to prepare it for reassembly.

Note: This process will only "change" approx 1/3rd of the entire capacity of trans fluid.