04 with 260k miles...........how far should i push my luck ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rocky

Reaction score
Bought this thing new in 04 , been a stud and plan on keeping it ........still doesn't burn any oil and feels like it has just as much power as when new . I treated engine with SLICK 5O at 75k miles and again at 150k miles , trans is a different story .......serviced at 75k miles and that's it ......now she has 260k on her . The thing has had a easy life .....mostly freeway miles . little towing and well maintained , want to start towing a 4k lbs camper on trips out west . ,My concern is mainly with the transmission ..........how far should I push it before I get it rebuilt ? How many miles should I get out of a well maintained 4.6 ?
It came with oil cooler and hitch.........just wondering if I should do it now or squeeze another 100k out of it ? Is it still true that if you do as I have and don't get the trans serviced for over 100k then you should not get it serviced........the new oil cause seals and what not to leak or start slipping ? or was that ever true ?

thanks for any advice .............for the new guy

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 04 expy with the 4.6 engine is rated to tow 5000 lbs. gross trailer weight.
You say you are planning on towing a 4000 lb. trailer out west. Is that the dry or gross weight.
My personal opinion is with the 4.6 you will know its behind you especially when in come to any hills out west.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It has a transmission oil cooler- probably still too small. Upgrade that thing. I've seen 5.4 guys use the transmission cooler meant for the 6.0l 3/4 ton Ford trucks. That cooler is massive.

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rocky,
Am glad you have had luck with yours, many new posts haven't been so lucky. I would say maintenance is the key to success keeping these engines running forever, high end oil filters like the Motorcraft factory ones and high quality 5-30 oil. Keep a watch on the engine, listen for any noises, especially coming from the front or top of the engine and I would suspect you can get 400k out of her.

The 4.6 will be limited for pulling a 4000 trailer as bedrck indicated. Take it easy, don't over-rev the engine on grades and watch your gauges for overheating. You may want to consider putting a transmission temp gauge so you can monitor the transmission, heat is what kills them.

Changing the fluids and filter in the transmission is proper maintenance for keeping them alive. Some argue changing them killed their transmission. I maintained vehicles for 30+ years and never killed a vehicle by maintaining it. Normally the articles you read on oil change transmission failures were on transmission long overdue for changes and abused. There are theory's why the change killed them, not sure any proven reasoning.

As well if you haven't changed the running gear fluids, it needs done. The front end, transfer case and rear end or due. Check the manuals as fluids are specific.

You have arguably the best of the modular engines. Shortly after yours they started the 3v series, which were more problematic. Keep her maintained and I would suspect many more trouble free years.

Gary

OP
OP
R

rocky

Reaction score
Rocky,
Am glad you have had luck with yours, many new posts haven't been so lucky. I would say maintenance is the key to success keeping these engines running forever, high end oil filters like the Motorcraft factory ones and high quality 5-30 oil. Keep a watch on the engine, listen for any noises, especially coming from the front or top of the engine and I would suspect you can get 400k out of her.

The 4.6 will be limited for pulling a 4000 trailer as bedrck indicated. Take it easy, don't over-rev the engine on grades and watch your gauges for overheating. You may want to consider putting a transmission temp gauge so you can monitor the transmission, heat is what kills them.

Changing the fluids and filter in the transmission is proper maintenance for keeping them alive. Some argue changing them killed their transmission. I maintained vehicles for 30+ years and never killed a vehicle by maintaining it. Normally the articles you read on oil change transmission failures were on transmission long overdue for changes and abused. There are theory's why the change killed them, not sure any proven reasoning.

As well if you haven't changed the running gear fluids, it needs done. The front end, transfer case and rear end or due. Check the manuals as fluids are specific.

You have arguably the best of the modular engines. Shortly after yours they started the 3v series, which were more problematic. Keep her maintained and I would suspect many more trouble free years.

Gary

thanks for the advice and info , ours is 2 wheel drive .............when the 4.6 finally does get tired I wonder if I could swap up to the bigger engine ?

Larger cooler , trans temp gauge and be "extra nice" to her while towing........all good stuff....thanks guys .

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could swap to a bigger engine, but not worth the cost IMO. They are built on the same engine platform so will physically bolt right in, but things like air induction systems were different, and your computer would need modified and a few other things, and your transmission will be shot by then. By then you might be interested in buying another rig, maybe a 4x4 etc. I would recommend staying away from 05's up during their 3v years.
When the day comes, if you love the first genertions body style try to find a low mileage 2000-2004 with the 5.4.

Good luck
Gary

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why didn't you keep up with transmission services? I'll bet oil changes were done every 3-5 thousand miles. I believe you have the 4r70w trans in your SUV. Your going to have to take a chance on the fluid change. I wouldn't have it flushed, as flushing might break loose crud in there. The newer 6 speeds had a 130 k change interval, yours is about 40k or so. Mercon v is a semi synthetic that should be in yours. Ford is actually recommending it for even the 4r100, which came with standard mercon. If you leave it in, you will have trans problems down the road. These kind of conundrums can be avoided with regular service. You've done well with the 4.6. We've had a bunch of failures lately with the 5.4 motors, some even the 2 valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think you can even buy Mercon anymore. I think it was made obsolete by Mercon V.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No Tom mercon is still around, like r12 Freon, can always be found online if necessary. Problem is if unsure what's in there, you either purge out hoses at trans cooler, or flush like I did, kept fingers crossed, but I had only 70k showing on odo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk