07 Expedition 148k Miles - Radiator Leak - Stop Leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

o2manyfish

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have an 07 Expedition L with 148k miles. The radiator has a really small leak. It appears to be at the top of the radiator under the hose radiator hose on the top passenger side of the radiator.

When you shut off the truck you can hear a slight steam hiss for a few mins. And there is a very slight rust trickle down the edge of the radiator.

The mechanic who just did the oil change said it was a crack in the radiator. But he barely looked at it. From where I am There is so much 'stuff' right around the radiator hose, you can't see anything.

I took off the hose and reclamped it. Normally I don't have to add water to the coolant box for 3 weeks - I drive maybe 200miles a week.

Should I just throw in some stop leak, or should I replace the radiator?

I know replacing the radiator is the smart thing? But for such a minimal leak and everything else working well I wasn't sure on what the forums opinion was on Stop Leak with these engines at this age.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dave B

Plati

Reaction score
cant tell without seeing it
little leaks become big leaks
and spray liquid all over engine?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do not, I repeat do not put anything in cooling system to stop leak! They will eventually, plug up your cooling system like a bear plugging himself up for hibernation! If your leak is small, try cleaning the outside of radiator with sand paper, and use a good plastic repair epoxy. I can't over emphasise thorough cleaning of outside, along with draining coolant down below repair. This might buy you some time, till you can replace radiator. Be sure to purge all air out of system when done.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
We had a cooling system leak out riding snowmobiles one day up in the north country. Guy goes into restaurant, steals a pepper shaker, and dumps that in the cooling system. It did the job and got him home. I was riding behind him and was hungry the whole time.

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do not, I repeat do not put anything in cooling system to stop leak! They will eventually, plug up your cooling system like a bear plugging himself up for hibernation! If your leak is small, try cleaning the outside of radiator with sand paper, and use a good plastic repair epoxy. I can't over emphasise thorough cleaning of outside, along with draining coolant down below repair. This might buy you some time, till you can replace radiator. Be sure to purge all air out of system when done.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

+1...anything you pour into your radiator to stop a leak, is also going to find its way into the motor’s internal cooling passages and water jackets potentially causing blockages there too. Not good for your motor’s longevity.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No stop leak. I'd sand and JB Weld from the outside first. Stop leak probably wouldn't do it anyway, it's designed to swell gaskets and hoses, I don't think it would even try to block a pinhole in the radiator.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to agree with everyone else. Stop leak may be tempting but it can do all sorts of stuff to anything antifreeze runs through. I'd just replace the radiator.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to agree with everyone else. Stop leak may be tempting but it can do all sorts of stuff to anything antifreeze runs through. I'd just replace the radiator.
Yep, you are going to end up replacing the radiator. You 'may' be able to buy some time if you sand around the area to rough it up and do some JB Weld. I did that on daughters Explorer and brother's car for a while. It worked OK on the Explorer till I replaced it, but it won't last. Brother's car still seeped some, but not as bad.