1-2 gear shift rough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bavism

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is really a problem or not. Every once in a while I have had a rough shift from 1-2 gear.

What I think is happening is I'm confusing (for lack of a better word) the transmission. When this has happened I'm generally barely reaching that point where the transmission is about to shift from 1 to 2 and I think the transmission is in the middle of switching from 1 to 2, but since I just tapped the gas the vehicle slows back down to where it needs to shift from 2 to 1. I I think the transmission is in the middle of switching from 1 - 2 and then suddenly has to switch back to 1 and this gives me a rough shift.

Is it possible that I'm creating a driving condition that is hard on my transmission? Will these cause wear and tear?

99% of the time my gears shift great. It's only happened maybe 5 or 6 times in the 9 months that I've had it. When it happens I'm generally barely giving it any gas and I'm usually in the act of just tapping the gas because I've either been in traffic or in a parking lot.

Is this anything to worry about? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A firm shift is better for the transmission since you have less clutch slippage during shifts. Should it get to the point of rattling your teeth then I would worry about it as long as it shifts correctly under normal driving.

Instead of tapping the gas just apply light pressure to the pedal, enough to get it moving.

I would also check the trans fluid level to make sure it is correct.

BIG GREEN FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this proplom but its also me doing what you said but its not as bad as my wife's 2010 Chevy Malibu when I do it in her car it really shifts hard

CaperCanadian

Reaction score
I had a hard 1-2 shift until a few weeks ago, had a broken 1-2 acclamator spring. Started out being once in a while, than only when it warmed up after about 10 minutes of driving. If all else fails or it starts getting worse, might be something to look into.

Last edited: