10 mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The other day I was driving I crossed the desert at about 75 miles an hour. Everything seemed normal until I reset the instant miles per gallon and noticed I was getting about 10 miles to the gallon. This didn't seem right, obviously. So I get into a construction zone and turn off my cruise control whereupon the vehicle slow down rapidly. It felt as though I had downshifted a gear. Had I not accelerated it would have come to a near stop or even a stop. when I could go back up to highway speed I tried this a couple more times, turn off the cruise and it seems to break she found her to a stop. Although of course I did not stop. I arrived at my destination and did my business. On the return everything was normal except on the flats my instant mileage was in the mid twenties. That was too much. I've had 4 expeditions with the same engine, allbeit each tweaked a bit by Ford. This one has always had the worst mileage. so isi it possible the cruise control and or the instant MPG feature are out of whack? And I should mention that it is a 2013 King ranch with 50,000 miles on it. Actually it's my wife's car and gets less use than the Little old Lady from Pasadena's. Unless I drive it it only goes two miles to the hairdresser on Fridays. Thoughts? Thanks.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like the flats aren't flat but are actually long, almost imperceptibly gradual grades.

OP
OP
cekkk

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are correct, there are several ups and downs. Nevertheless, 10 miles to the gallon is ridiculous. And the fact that when I killed the cruise control I did not Free Wiheeln and slow down gradually but felt as though I had my foot slightly on the brake or had downshifted a gear. The vehicle was stopping, not coasting. Unfortunately I did not check my RPMs but the shifter was in drive, which would have been 4th gear or what we used to call overdrive in the old days

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Next time it happens pull over and check the wheel temps with an infrared thermometer if you have one. You might be dragging a caliper and a hotter wheel/caliper would help identify which one. The rubber flexible brake lines can collapse internally and cause intermittent caliper dragging.

OP
OP
cekkk

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I I thought about that, although I did not pull over and check temps. However, as I was traveling at a high rate of speed for a goodly time I would have anticipated some noticeable negative effect when I did apply the brakes. And I noticed nothing. Although that is still the best possibility. It is 7 years old and original brake components. Thank you.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The other day I was driving I crossed the desert at about 75 miles an hour. Everything seemed normal until I reset the instant miles per gallon and noticed I was getting about 10 miles to the gallon. This didn't seem right, obviously. So I get into a construction zone and turn off my cruise control whereupon the vehicle slow down rapidly. It felt as though I had downshifted a gear. Had I not accelerated it would have come to a near stop or even a stop. when I could go back up to highway speed I tried this a couple more times, turn off the cruise and it seems to break she found her to a stop. Although of course I did not stop. I arrived at my destination and did my business. On the return everything was normal except on the flats my instant mileage was in the mid twenties. That was too much. I've had 4 expeditions with the same engine, allbeit each tweaked a bit by Ford. This one has always had the worst mileage. so isi it possible the cruise control and or the instant MPG feature are out of whack? And I should mention that it is a 2013 King ranch with 50,000 miles on it. Actually it's my wife's car and gets less use than the Little old Lady from Pasadena's. Unless I drive it it only goes two miles to the hairdresser on Fridays. Thoughts? Thanks.
Sounds like the MPG feature is not working right.

OP
OP
cekkk

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like the MPG feature is not working right.
I think I referred to it as instant MPG when it is actually averaged. But I agree, it's probably gone a bit haywire. But what accounts for the breaking sensation? Probably as above, something going on at at least one wheel

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Does the 2013 have the button on the shifter that cuts out the lock-up converter and overdrive? Maybe that was pressed. I won't bother mentioning the parking brake.

The MPG readout is averaged and would include your wife's idling in traffic around town.

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had an almost identical issue with my expy.

I took it to a shop and had them flush out the front dif. I dont think it has ever been changed, they said it was pretty bad.

Dif fluid is the most overlooked fluid on any vehicle from my experience.

I also had them suck out the old trans fluid and fill with new that i supplied.

After about 100 mile of driving with the fresh fluid it felt like a completley different truck and my mpg went from 12, to 16 with no changes in rout or driving style.

I now have busted exhaust manifold bolts and mpg is creeping dow again. . . .

OP
OP
cekkk

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does the 2013 have the button on the shifter that cuts out the lock-up converter and overdrive? Maybe that was pressed. I won't bother mentioning the parking brake.

The MPG readout is averaged and would include your wife's idling in traffic around town.
Thanks, but tow haul was not engaged. Besides, my wife used to follow me pulling a 16-foot flatbed with an ATV and a side-by-side on it and she always got 12 and 1/2 to 13 and a half miles per gallon from Colorado to Arizona. And yeah, I checked the parking brake right away. As far as average, I had zeroed it out as soon as I got on the highway out of our little town. And I zeroed it a few other times when I noticed how the numbers were coming up 9.8, 10.2.