100k mile to do list

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My 2009 expedition EB 4x4 just rolled 97k. I bought it one year ago with 85k. A month or so after I bought it i tore my ACL and required reconstruction surgery. i had to let all my planned maintenance go.. And as far as i can tell, the previous owner was very lazy maintenance wise. So far i know i need to do front brakes and tires. Dealer said i have some kind of a small leak from the transmission(any ideas??) and a front axle seal leaking. I also gotta fix the driveshaft or possible rear end issue im having.

So other than those things. What are the most common weak spots that need to be addressed on these trucks at 100k

Thanks for all help,

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Spark plugs due at 100k. Transmission fluid and filter. Other often overlooked fluids are brake, power steering, and coolant. The fluids do wear out/degrade and can cause problems later, like plugged heater cores, water pump failure, brake line/caliper issues, power steering issues.

OP
OP
Q

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, forgot to say trans fluid and plugs.

Should i have them drop the pan and replace the filter or have them do one of the transmission flushes? I do not know if its ever been touched before.

Also i cant seem to find a trans dipstick anywhere...am i blind or what?

Last edited:

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I prefer pan drop and filter. Sure, it might not get out all the old fluid, but it won't mess anything up either.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we should make a 100K change sticky outlining everything that needs to be done at that interval

OP
OP
Q

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea to me. We can use my truck as the baseline if you guys want. Especially since the previous owner seems to not have a clue when it came to maintenance. Im gonna have to do every single thing.

David1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
front pinion seal and the trans connector are probably your leaks. Don't flush the trans before verifying the leak. They have to drop pan to do connector so it will be a waste. Be sure to tell them to change the filter when they do the connector. BTW, mine only leaked when below 32 degrees, there is no dip stick. Down at the trans is a plug where the dip stick tube would enter. Remove the plug and there should be a stick inside to check fluid level.

OP
OP
Q

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you David. Good catch on that one. My extended warranty will then probably cover fixing the leak and 90% of the cost of the fluid change. Might just have to pay for the filter in addition.

Just wish this truck had been better cared for, by the previous owners. Sometimes I wonder if I should trade it off before even bigger issues pop up.