1181 engine hrs, 161 hrs idle, 63500 km , 5 recorded oil changes (+1). what does that tell you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woodwolf

Reaction score
that is what my 2019 Platinum had on the vehicle clock when I bought it used in June. How does this compare to your mix? are these normal numbers? Vehicle was plated in a smaller country side town. Single owner.
I figure 63500km/1181 hrs= 53.76 km/hour average speed from previous owner when in motion. It's probably a mix of speeds. But seems high?
Which conclusions about the engine and vehicle shape can I take from these numbers? What to expect?
Expedition runs like a kitten with hard to believe good mileage numbers. No codes. Very even tire wear.
Please pipe in with your experience and conclusions.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
12700 km per change or roughly 7600 miles. I think previous owner changed oil when vehicle told him so, most likely leased vehicle
Yea you can't follow the manufacturer's time frame for oil changes. The oil gets dirty faster because of the twin turbos. I change every 3000 to 5000 miles depending on highway vs. local driving. A pretty inexpensive maintenance task if you do it yourself. cost me $50US for Mobil 1 full synthetic oil and Motorcraft filter.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
People change the oil like crazy and still have problems. I wouldn’t worry about a good running vehicle. These things have cam phaser issues with very low miles, so oil isn’t the only factor there.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
People change the oil like crazy and still have problems. I wouldn’t worry about a good running vehicle. These things have cam phaser issues with very low miles, so oil isn’t the only factor there.
Agree to disagree. In my business vehicles that are well maintained have less failures. Changing oil is one of those maintenance procedures that should be done regimentally. Just compare drained oil at the manufacture specs schedule to drained oil at 3000 to 5000 miles. The specification of the oil is just as important. Lubrication and coolant are the 2 most important factors to a less troubled vehicle.
Example: 2000 Ford Excursion, 250000 miles, same 5.4L motor, no engine repairs, except coils and plugs, oil changed using synthetic and Motorcraft filter every 5000 miles. Combination highway/city driving.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Woodwolf

Reaction score
I guess one of the numbers, the average speed the vehicle was driven, appears to be high. See above. But then again,it may points to lot of HWY driving, which I read is good for oil and engine. Any input here?

mwar99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess one of the numbers, the average speed the vehicle was driven, appears to be high. See above. But then again,it may points to lot of HWY driving, which I read is good for oil and engine. Any input here?
Average speed is only about 33 mph...

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agree to disagree. In my business vehicles that are well maintained have less failures. Changing oil is one of those maintenance procedures that should be done regimentally. Just compare drained oil at the manufacture specs schedule to drained oil at 3000 to 5000 miles. The specification of the oil is just as important. Lubrication and coolant are the 2 most important factors to a less troubled vehicle.
Example: 2000 Ford Excursion, 250000 miles, same 5.4L motor, no engine repairs, except coils and plugs, oil changed using synthetic and Motorcraft filter every 5000 miles. Combination highway/city driving.
Definitely disagree. After sending off oil samples, I learned I was wasting money. So I don’t change things nearly as often as I used to. For instance I have a lawn mower here that is approaching ten years old, the wheels are about worn through. No engine issues and it has…wait for it…the factory break in oil! Marketing is a hard thing to resist, but I’ve saved a boatload of money on all my engines since spacing the changes way out. Also time is a huge factor p, whether you are fooling with a dealer, jiffy lube, or just doing it yourself. That’s money in the bank too.

have a Camry we drive daily, started changing oil ever two years in it. It goes maybe 4000 miles a year, so short trips. No issues. It’s 12 years old now. Had changed it at the recommendation of 10k miles when it was driven a lot the first few years. Age is getting to it for nondrivetrain parts, and dumping perfectly good oil would be a waste, just for some feel good reasons.

diesel for sure didn’t need all the changes I did. Stopped those and that truck still goes and goes and goes. It’s a 97 model. Think I got my moneys worth out of it and body will fall off before that motor will quit.

in this case specifically, you said lack of oil changes cause the cam phasers to go out. Since those have gone out on people with very few miles, it’s not an oiling issue.

I do however think full synthetic could contribute, as it could drain off the parts easier after shutdown. I’ve noted most guys with issues are quick to point out they used that oil.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett