1181 engine hrs, 161 hrs idle, 63500 km , 5 recorded oil changes (+1). what does that tell you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rivisio

Reaction score
Wife does a lot of waiting for kids at school, probably 20min per day. In winter, if just running to store quick I'll remote start. The car was a limo in Toronto for the first 18 months of it's life. When I got it, it had 20,000km on it with 6xx run time hrs and 280 hrs idle I believe.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Woodwolf I finally checked my 2019. I purchased it with 68,000 miles on it. Now it has 72,695 miles, 3556 total engine hours, and 1109 engine idle hours. So approximately 32% idle vs. driving. Registered oil changes show 14 full synthetic oil changes, counting my latest one last week. That averages 1 oil change every 5192.5 miles.

OP
OP
W

Woodwolf

Reaction score
@Woodwolf I finally checked my 2019. I purchased it with 68,000 miles on it. Now it has 72,695 miles, 3556 total engine hours, and 1109 engine idle hours. So approximately 32% idle vs. driving. Registered oil changes show 14 full synthetic oil changes, counting my latest one last week. That averages 1 oil change every 5192.5 miles.
A few responses report 30% plus idle time, which is high IMO, but probably right for city drivers. My mechanic son says this is a major cause of valves and turbo contamination.
As far as registered oil changes go, I wish I could log mine, but my Canadian Ford Pass does not allow for it.

OP
OP
W

Woodwolf

Reaction score
So I cannot speak for Ford, but I’m in the trucking business and deal with large amounts of equipment. We have roughly 20,000 tractors with three OEM’s. And those warranty programs are predicated on idle percentages and fuel mileages in addition to total miles. All that to say at least in that world, idle is considered in wear on an engine and we adjust our oil change intervals accordingly. 35% idle seems high but I don’t know how Ford calculates that or even how to check it.
you can find this info on your dashboard. That is for 4th generation. I don't know about earlier expeds

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A few responses report 30% plus idle time, which is high IMO, but probably right for city drivers. My mechanic son says this is a major cause of valves and turbo contamination.
As far as registered oil changes go, I wish I could log mine, but my Canadian Ford Pass does not allow for it.
Maybe Florida cars have higher idle times, as we will sit with the motor running if it's hot, which is pretty much all the time.
I'm surprised you can't log your oil changes. My Ford Pass allows for dealer, third party and self. When doing self, they like to see the receipts uploaded, to prove the proper oil, filter and parts were used. I do my own oil changes, because it is so simple and no mess with a siphon system. I still pull the cover and remove the drain plug to make sure I get all the old oil out. But there's never any more than a drop or 2 left.

OP
OP
W

Woodwolf

Reaction score
It'll need cam phasers with that few oil changes.....
Yes, it didn’t take long to to develop cam phaser rattle. Just got new ones installed under warranty which is timing out in January. For good measure the transmission memory got re programmed also . It feels like they did other things also , like software updates, as vehicle runs smooth like silk now. 67 k km , hope I have piece of mind for a while now.

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that is what my 2019 Platinum had on the vehicle clock when I bought it used in June. How does this compare to your mix? are these normal numbers? Vehicle was plated in a smaller country side town. Single owner.
I figure 63500km/1181 hrs= 53.76 km/hour average speed from previous owner when in motion. It's probably a mix of speeds. But seems high?
Which conclusions about the engine and vehicle shape can I take from these numbers? What to expect?
Expedition runs like a kitten with hard to believe good mileage numbers. No codes. Very even tire wear.
Please pipe in with your experience and conclusions.
Well, I have a 2019 with 69k km, 1560 engine hours, 432 idle hours!! No garage and live in cold Manitoba. Wife loves to use command start, says its "for the dogs" so they don't have to get in a cold vehicle when she goes to work!(they go with her) small town, so probably only 15-20km drives per weekday, but usually every weekend we are putting on at least 400km going to 'the big city' for dog classes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire