200,000 mark suggestions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LargeJoMaMa

Reaction score
My boy just reached his 200,000 mark on a trip to Texas from PA and back. Besides the normal wear and tear up here in the east on the undercarriage and suspension, any suggestions on what I should make sure to get checked out? I was going to finally change the whole exhaust but was told that the small leak I have isn't that important. What should I have looked at to help make sure that my trusted friend keeps going on for at least a few more years?

20171118_142436.jpg

OP
OP
LargeJoMaMa

LargeJoMaMa

Reaction score
My boy just reached his 200,000 mark on a trip to Texas from PA and back. Besides the normal wear and tear up here in the east on the undercarriage and suspension, any suggestions on what I should make sure to get checked out? I was going to finally change the whole exhaust but was told that the small leak I have isn't that important. What should I have looked at to help make sure that my trusted friend keeps going on for at least a few more years?

View attachment 22311
Yeah... Going 80 when I snapped this picture...

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would just keep changing the oil and other fluids when they are due. Congratulations on the 200,000 mark. Where did you go in PA?

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's one heck of a trip. I'm originally from Throop, a small town in NE PA. I live in CT now.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you changed the water pump yet ? Good time to do it if you haven't already. (Use Motorcraft parts...) Lower ball joints, front and rear. Inspect the brake pads... change the fuel filter... that's about it...

-Mike

jstone5241

Reaction score
I would change ALL fluids to synthetic using a BG flush. I do that every 50000 and no problems at 223000. Did same on last one and had 337000. Then wrecked it!

OP
OP
LargeJoMaMa

LargeJoMaMa

Reaction score
Thanks for the input fellas. My suspension seems to need some attention. Every time I make a right turn a loud pop and creak happen. I just treat this thing like a baby and want to make sure it lasts. Obviously not forever but as long as possible. Gonna go with synthetic and change the other fluids as well. Plus there's a lot of give in the steering wheel too... Little things hopefully...

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The slop in the steering wheel is probably the inner tie rod ends. They wear out about every 100k miles. Replace the inner and outers and have it aligned. If the dust boots are torn on the front lower ball joints replace them too, before the alignment. Creaking in the rear is probably the rear lower ball joint bushings, they support all the weight. Other than that, look for rust around the radiator support and in the roof channels.

-Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcason94