2001 expo 5.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dev199505

Reaction score
I love tuning vehicles (after all life's too short to stay stock [emoji14]) so I'm wondering what should be the first performance mod I should do to help with power and fuel economy. I'm thinking drop in K&N air filter and a programmer first then do a full exhaust (headers and cat back) later but what do you guys think would be better do first?

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are serious about making more usable power see Toms89 blower addition on this site. The rest have done the normal hot air intake, headers, exhaust and programmer.

OP
OP
D

dev199505

Reaction score
If you are serious about making more usable power see Toms89 blower addition on this site. The rest have done the normal hot air intake, headers, exhaust and programmer.
Only issue is I'm in CA for I don't think I could do a blower everything has to be carb compliant

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How about cylinder port and polish, bigger diameter tires and rims and installing a high lift cam.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please explain how a larger tire will increase performance.
Granted a larger tire will have a greater circumference which in turn means traveling a greater distance per revolution. But the cost is it will take more energy to do so.

OP
OP
D

dev199505

Reaction score
Please explain how a larger tire will increase performance.
Granted a larger tire will have a greater circumference which in turn means traveling a greater distance per revolution. But the cost is it will take more energy to do so.
That's what I thought unless these have ridiculously low gears?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just look at a top fuel dragster. Tall tires but has the engine to power them or farm tractors. Again tall tires with a high torque engine.

I can't remember the last time I saw Billy Bob running from the cops on his John Deer. I just added that since I'm sitting here with no power in the house.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dev199505

Reaction score
It's an expedition not explorer BTW sorry guys lol. Either way I know it'll have more power stock than my 1990 bronco 2 does

glen r

Reaction score
A better exhaust, and intake are the best places to start. I am currently a Magnaflow Cat back, and Volant , true cold air, intake. Programmer will be iffy in california, especially with custom tunes.