2002 Navigator 5.4L Intech swap into a 2002 5.4L Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86caprirs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got a 2002 Expedition with a 5.4L and a 4r100 trans. The engine has 400,000 km on it and it is leaking oil from the head gasket like crazy. I have found a 2002 Lincoln Navigator in the wreakers with the 2002 intech 5.4L 4V engine.

Has anyone actually done this swap and been successful? I want to know what it would take to do the swap. I am guessing engine, exhaust y pipe, engine harness, pcm and maybe cluster? The 5.4L should bolt to the trans no problem. I am not sure about the torque converter. I have access to a IDS to reprogram keys to the pcm. I want to know if the wiring is the same from both vehicles? How much of a pain this will be?

From most posts I have found everyone is guessing if it will work. I want to know if someone has done this swap and can help me out.

Thanks
Shane

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is one thread on here where a member in California (I think) did the same swap. It is possible, all I will say is it will be a very tight engine compartment. I think the blocks are the same, just everything else is different. If it was me, I wouldn't do the swap.

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I am not asking about opinions on if I should do the swap or not. I am doing the swap and want to know what I need for the swap from people that have done it. It will be no tighter then a Navigator engine bay and it is already tight with the 5.4L in it already.

The only swap thread I have seen is someone doing a supercharged 5.4 swap from a 4.6L swap

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guess your not interested in opinions and you can't find anyone that has done it before I would say your on your own But when you do finish the project it would be nice if you posted the procedure as it may help the next member

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is an easy swap. The engine compartment in a 2002 navigator is the same as a 2002 Expedition. 86caprirs, it sounds like you have a good handle on what you're dealing with and the differences/similarities with Mod Motors.

I did a DOHC swap in my 2003 Lightning so I went through all of this myself too.

How I would go about it depends a bit on what parts you have access to and the relative costs.

Base scenario - take the engine, complete with intake manifold, airbox, throttle and cruise control cables. Your PCM will run the 4v engine no problem, 4r100 bolts right up. You can use your existing engine wiring harness or the 4v's. Only difference in wiring is that the coil pack wires run separately from the injectors, so if reusing your harness, you need to separate them, and the polarity of the pins is the opposite on a 4v from a 2v - flip the pins. Just reprogram your PCM for the injector size and higher redline.

If the price for everything is about the same, I would take the wiring harness and PCM with it, then use your IDS tool to reprogram PATS.

The exhaust manifolds are different but the y-pipe should be the same,

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guess your not interested in opinions and you can't find anyone that has done it before I would say your on your own But when you do finish the project it would be nice if you posted the procedure as it may help the next member

He's interested in feedback, just not random conjecture from people who have no idea what they're talking about

OP
OP
86caprirs

86caprirs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I may have to do that. My 5.4L 2V is not doing well and why replace it with another 2V when I have 4V sitting at the yard.
My concern is there was issues and no one posed them. I did a search on Inford with the Navi VIN and the truck is identical to mine except for the 5.4L is a 4V. Same year and same options including trans and transfer case. In everything I have seen this should be an easy swap with the engine, harness, pcm and exhaust pipe. My question is the bulk head connector for the PCM in the engine bay wired the same between my Expedition and the donor Navigator?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would suggest that you get the wiring diagrams for both so you can compare the connectors for the PCM